CEX.io
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Kicking the habit.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronke View Post
    I'm dissing you because you are dumb, ignorant and bash on something you are unwilling to try. Both products gives you the exact same addictions except weed makes you slow, lazy and extremely fucking happy. (I guess cigarettes makes you happy to, but only for the 2 minutes you are actually smoking it >)

And the fact I used marijuana in my posts is because I use that a lot more on a daily base.

You seem angsty, have a smoke.
    While I agree he seems pretty mad, marijuana and cigarettes do not have the "exact same addictions". Nicotine is physically addictive (I.E. your body goes through physical withdrawal symptoms because it lacks a chemical it now depends on) while cannabis is only addictive in the same way biting your nails can be addictive. That's not too say you can't get hooked on it, but you get hooked because of your personality type and not because of THC. Hate to be the stoner-police, but science and all...

Mixing the two is a whole different problem since it's quite possible your mind and body could form an association between cannabis and nicotine, so when you smoke one you crave the other uncontrollably. Personally, the only drugs I mix my weed (take together, not literally mix) with are the classical hallucinogens.

R/P
    Power
    I'm not mad, or dumb. I promise. However what I am is right, but let's not let that get in the way of yet another derailed shit thread here.

I'm happy that you were able to overcome your debilitating one-joint-a-day marijuana addiction, stronke. I'm sure it was sheer hell for you. The fact that you made it through intact and have found your way back to being a productive member of society speaks volumes to your personal fortitude. Your wisdom is an inspiration to those who have been addicted to nicotine, heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, etc. I shall take your fantastic advice of "drink some water" and use it as a basis to begin my new life addiction-free.

3. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I used to smoke a quarter ounce of pot a day, easily - did that for about 2 years, and there was a period in there where i smoked a lot more. I am kind of shaky on the exact details, no idea why.

Point being, quitting cigarettes was a fuckton more difficult for me than pot - not being able to smoke pot forced me to deal with the shittiness that is RL, but you get over that. Not being able to smoke cigarettes made me go fucking batshit crazy on people and become hyper agressive - it also lasted a lot longer.

To Achmed the only homosexual muslim in sydney, you were a tailor at a department store in the city - I am really sorry I punched you habib, but just for future reference, when you say "your suit will be ready at 12", you'd best not get smarmy when I walk in at 12 and it isn't ready.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Wusti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Was that for a Court appearance Grogoth? :P

(What do you call an Abo in a suit? The Defendant - for non-aussies)

5. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    THAT IS RACIST, IF THE JUDGE WASN'T LOOKING AT ME FUNNY FOR FUCKING AROUND WITH MY PHONE I WOULD TOTALLY STAB YOU IN TEH FACE CUNT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Some Generally Awesome Dude's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quit cigs and heavy pot use. Comparison is a joke. Basically got bored of being high all the time and just stopped. Not a single craving ever.

7. The Ethics of Madness Iratus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    My dad (smoker for 40+ years) quit after pig flu made him retch at the smell of tobacco. May want to try getting it?

In all seriousness, I think quitting caffeine at the same time as nicotine is not a good idea... You'll be irritable as fuck already, adding another layer of withdrowal sounds like a terrible idea to me.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hChYV.png[/IMG]

"Every rifter counts friend" - VR

8. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I could make very long counter points about me being right but hey I'll just advice you two to visit a rehab centre that had holds a lot of pot smokers and interview a couple. I don't have my facts from research papers but from personal experience after working in a rehab centre of the Army of Salvation for about two years. And the reason you lot never had a lot of physical withdraw reactions is because I assume you kept smoking cigarettes or started to. And if you did not, kudo's you were the exception to the rule. Much like there are many nicotine users that manage to go cold turkye after many years with out a problem. There are always exceptions to the rule.

All the people I know that quite smoking pot after several years of heavy use started or continue to smoke cigarettes. You will simply trade of one addiction for another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    Feel the refreshing menthol fill your lungs. The calm that you feel with just one harmless drag. Inhale it. Breathe it in. Let it fill your body and mind. One cigarette won't hurt you. It's ok. Just take one puff.

R/P
    Power
    hahaha actually now that you mention it I remember when I was 15 my mom put me in an inpatient rehab for pot use. It sucked being in rehab and away from my friends and home for a whole month, but at the same time one look over at the adolescent heroin junkies and crackheads and I knew why the staff didn't consider my heavy teenaged marijuana use as a high priority. I remember wondering just how bad it was for those heroin junkies in particular. I got to find out about 8 years later -- it's no fun. Not smoking pot was a decidedly easier. Hooray for empiricism!

11. Legitimate Rape Baby
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Iratus View Post
    My dad (smoker for 40+ years) quit after pig flu made him retch at the smell of tobacco. May want to try getting it?

In all seriousness, I think quitting caffeine at the same time as nicotine is not a good idea... You'll be irritable as fuck already, adding another layer of withdrowal sounds like a terrible idea to me.
    Quitting caffeine is stupid no matter when. Coffee if a gift from God himself and is meant to be drunk in copious amounts. In fact, I think I need another espresso.

12. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Fuck you guys, I just broke my caffeine rule and I'm digging around in my ashtray for an intact butt.

R/P
    Power
    I'd say just focus on one at a time, since caffeine isn't going to give you cancer (that we know of) and is more acceptable at certain garden parties.

Edit: Also for Stronke. When you talk about seeing cannabis addiction, consider the placebo effect. A person is told that cannabis is physically addictive (which a mountain of actual research completely refutes), and so that person experiences withdrawal, not because of an actual chemical dependence, but because they were conditioned to expect that result. The Placebo effect is powerful enough that some heart surgeries (angina) preformed quite frequently in the 60's and 70's, with most patients claiming to see vast improvements, were later proven to have no more effect on the patient than placebo controls.

14. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilmar Keller View Post
    Fuck you guys, I just broke my caffeine rule and I'm digging around in my ashtray for an intact butt.
    STOP!!! Be strong homie!!! I'm am quitting with you. It's been 24+ hours for me now.

15. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    I thought dropping alcohol on top of nicotine would be the hardest part, but it's not because at night I just smoke a joint and pass out.

My morning coffee, on the other hand, is dearly missed. Can't toke up in the morning because I have work to do (the kind that requires focus) so on one hand I got work done today but on the other I'm back to day one.

16. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    instead of coffee, get another caffeine hit, like an energy drink or some shit - quitting caffeine at the same time as cigarettes is going to make it 10 times worse (caffeine addiction has some wicked physical side affects, including migraines)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Some Generally Awesome Dude's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogoth View Post
    instead of coffee, get another caffeine hit, like an energy drink or some shit - quitting caffeine at the same time as cigarettes is going to make it 10 times worse (caffeine addiction has some wicked physical side affects, including migraines)
    What she said.

18. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    You just made a powerless enemy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

19. A game of cat and also cat Bowkers's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Why the fuck would you quit caffeine..it's awesome. I can't not work without it..it's my lover that keeps me warm.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by T'Renn View Post
    Look -- I'm saying there's a pretty big difference between a physical addiction and a psychological one. Who is whining? They are entirely different topics. Why don't you tell me about that one time you had a really bad problem with fucking cheesecake or whatever else? Same difference. If you drink coffee, stop for a week -- see how your body changes. I resent that you came up in the thread with no experience on the matter and decided that your opinion matters because you cut down on weed. It's apples and oranges. Then you're a prick to me when I bring up a question of relevance? Calm down.
    Not a scientist but doesn't the physical part of Nicotin addiction wear of reasonably fast (<1 Month)?
    I doubt that its really the physical addiction that drags most people back which made it through the first Month. I would assume its more the psychological side.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogoth View Post
    The only thing changing from Coffee to energy drinks does is that it makes you fat
    3 Energy Drinks a day work out to 1kg a Month (2lb for the people on the other side of the big lake). But then it doesn't change your teeth color so I guess at least that is a plus.
    I went from at least 3 energy drinks a day to non and walked around (and did feel) like a zombie for the next 2-3 Days. But it was amazing how much easier I can get out of bed now in comparison

Tried smoking during my teenager days too but found the taste too disgusting to stick with it. Was mostly curiosity and just something in to do in that age. Guess its similar for most people.

21. Legitimate Rape Baby
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Matos View Post
    Not a scientist but doesn't the physical part of Nicotin addiction wear of reasonably fast (<1 Month)?
    I doubt that its really the physical addiction that drags most people back which made it through the first Month. I would assume its more the psychological side.

The only thing changing from Coffee to energy drinks does is that it makes you fat
    3 Energy Drinks a day work out to 1kg a Month (2lb for the people on the other side of the big lake). But then it doesn't change your teeth color so I guess at least that is a plus.
    I went from at least 3 energy drinks a day to non and walked around (and did feel) like a zombie for the next 2-3 Days. But it was amazing how much easier I can get out of bed now in comparison

Tried smoking during my teenager days too but found the taste too disgusting to stick with it. Was mostly curiosity and just something in to do in that age. Guess its similar for most people.
    Walking and hiking (especially hiking) are often overlooked by people who want to lose weight with something less likely to throw your knees out. I've lost about 70 pounds (~30KG) since last may, mostly by hiking a couple hours a day.

22. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Matos View Post
    Let me tell you about sugar free energy drinks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

23. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    So the plan seems to be working, I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in a week (mostly through passive evasion, shopping at a market where the nearby CVS doesn't sell my brand for some dumb reason) and if I'm super-desperate I'll dig a gnarly butt out of my ashtray (and then feel disgusting afterward). The not drinking is the easiest part. I've started drinking coffee again since it wakes me up and keeps me busy. Also started walking around the city to get things I need instead of driving everywhere, which has resulted in some serious uphill hikes with groceries.

Also, my balls are huge, but they were like that before I stopped smoking so I'm pretty sure it's not related.

24. Legitimate Rape Baby
    R/P
    Power
    So the plan seems to be working, I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in a week (mostly through passive evasion, shopping at a market where the nearby CVS doesn't sell my brand for some dumb reason) and if I'm super-desperate I'll dig a gnarly butt out of my ashtray (and then feel disgusting afterward). The not drinking is the easiest part. I've started drinking coffee again since it wakes me up and keeps me busy. Also started walking around the city to get things I need instead of driving everywhere, which has resulted in some serious uphill hikes with groceries.

Lay off the clomid.

/'grats so far

Also, my balls are huge, but they were like that before I stopped smoking so I'm pretty sure it's not related.

25. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    smoking old butts isnt really cold turkey, and therefore not really ideal - BUT, having done it, and know that horrid fucking taste, it is much better than smoking (which you wont want to do)

hang in there, chew gum, sip a tall glass of water, life live a quarter mile at a time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

26. The Idiot Bastard Son Internet Spaceships's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Since cannabis was brought up in this thread and I'm not willing to start a new one, happy 4/20 kugu friends

R/P
    Power

28. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Happy 420! Here's to a non-habit forming solution to (most of) life's problems.

29. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Day 4. Feeling strong.

Every time I start having a nicotine fit I furiously remind myself of the cost of smoking a pack a day, about 250$ a month. I also tell myself; "Don't be a pussy! You can do this, don't let it beat you".

I find myself fighting another urge....to eat. I used to weigh 165-175. Every time I try and quit over the years I'd put on about 20lbs.

30. Big slab'a Prussian wurst Malaclypse's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    After five years of being a smelly nicotine fiend, I've finally decided to quit smoking. Not 'trying it out' or 'taking a break' but quitting for good.

To facilitate this, I'm also giving up my triggers - namely alcohol and caffeine. Not forever, but just long enough that I figure out how to deal with constantly wanting a smoke.

Has anybody else tried this and succeeded?
    I don't think I have succeeded, but I'll just share my experiences.
    The first time I seriously (in terms of effect, not intention) quit smoking, it simply happened. Was in Sping '08, someday I couldn't stand the taste anymore and when I was smoking a pack for every two to three days, suddenly the lats one lasted a month. Once that pack was used up, I didn't buy a new one and didn't touch a fag for 3 years. Without ever giving any thought to it oddly enough.
    Then in Spring '11, I started again, smoked for 3 months, and then just quitted as instantly as I restarted. Haven't picked up the habit.

For me, getting over the initial physical detox was never that much of a problem. But I did enjoy the flair and had rather equal triggers as you had (alcohol (actually the thing that made me start smoking in the first place) and coffee, also company or passing time at train stations, etc.), and so in those situations every now and then I do feel tempted to have a cig, because "yeah, it's just one, right?". Sadly it rarely stays that way and for me the critical point is buying a pack myself. Once I start carrying around one of those, I won't hesitate to make use of it. Not owning any packs personally helps (me anyhow). Pretty much how I had my relapse last year. Smoked "just one" which turned out to be 3 which turned into "right, I won't steal your cigs anymore, I'll get me a pack and spread what remains after tonight". Lesson learned.

That being said, I do hit the green plant on occasion, and given the most usual ways to consume it, I'd be lying to claim I had succeeded (in getting completely off of the nicotine that is). But I don't smoke weed as regularily as one smokes cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wusti View Post
    I quit back in July 2010 after nearly 30 years of smoking (yes I'm an old fart). Tried patches in the January of that year and it was a fucking joke.

Decided one day to not have a cigarette.

Decided the next day to not have one either.

Decided to not have one on the third day.

Decided not to have one today as well.

Haven't had a single puff since July 14, 2010 at 6:07PM.

Still fucking want to have a cigarette at least a dozen times a day, just nowhere near as strong.

Take it a day at a time is the best advice I can give you - and don;t try and do it "the easy way". There isn't one.

Fuck cigarettes forever.

BTW I was so hooked on them that I became asthmatic again and was taking Seretide and Ventolin just so i could smoke. One week after I decided not to have one I was off all medication - it's worth it.

Also - main motivation for staying off the fuckers? Not wanting to go through that bullshit again.
    Everyone gets off of it on his or her own way. What I personally experienced was that each and every time that I really actively tried to stop, it never lasted long, 6 weeks. The 3 years break and the current 1 year one all have been the results of pretty much me simply stopping without even intending to so. For me at least it's a lot easier getting away from it not constantly thinking about stopping and actively avoiding it (and triggers), but quite the opposite.
    That being said, I didn't smoke as long as you did (I don't even live that long), roughly for about 4 to 5 years.
    Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys over places of the ground.
    Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brothers down.

The universe is hostile, so impersonal: Devour to survive - So it is, so it's always been!

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    I'm the master of quitting smoking. I've quitted it so many times.

~~~~GIMMIE +REP+ GIMMIE~~~~

32. Slowly Dying Like Dried Grapes Vonqueesha Shenaynay's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Grath View Post
    i got like, the bird flu 2 and a half years ago, the smell of a cig would make me vomit, and the illness took about 2 weeks to run its course. I haven't had a smoke since the morning i woke up sick.

Make the 2 week mark cold turkey and you're home free, get a pencil to gnaw on for the oral fixation you've developed over time
    i made it three months before i started back again. what did me in was i started a job as a journalist and found myself not being able to write without smoking. it had become such an essential part of my writing process that i literally couldn't put out a story without taking a smoke break.

from my experience, you'll need to keep your life as stress free as possible until you can just completely stop thinking about it entirely. and you'll need to be committed to relearning all the things that you learned involving smoking.

i don't drink anymore, so that's helped me cut down on smoking. so really i only smoke when i'm rolling, which i manage to keep down to about once a week at most, so i've cut back on smoking about as much as i'd like. i feel your pain man. everything about cigs is disgusting... you can be ready to quit but you have to be willing to break all the habits that go along with it before you'll really have a chance.
    [B]I PAID 25 EUROS FOR A SIG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY TROLL ATTEMPT[/B]

33. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    It's been about 1 week now since I've quit. It's a bitch!

34. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Stay strong somedude, and remember, mind over matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

35. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    I fell off the wagon a bit this weekend. I got coerced to drink, which totally broke my will.

Having said that, it's been almost two weeks since I bought a pack of cigarettes. Alcohol's a trigger I'd best avoid.

36. Legitimate Rape Baby
    R/P
    Power
    This thread makes me want to smoke.

No, really. I loved the act of smoking, the smell and taste of the tobacco, and the filling of my lungs with a poison that I craved.

I'm done with it now but goddamn I wish the things weren't so bad for me.

37. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I fell off the wagon a bit this weekend. I got coerced to drink, which totally broke my will.

Having said that, it's been almost two weeks since I bought a pack of cigarettes. Alcohol's a trigger I'd best avoid.
    That is still pretty good meight. If you are going to smoke, having one or two is better than buying a packet, on times I fell off the wagon I have bought a pack, near smoked them all that night and threw them out the next morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

38. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Some Generally Awesome Dude's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Ya, I didn't go drinking or to parties for the first couple of weeks. I remember the first party I went to had people smoking, and I was sitting on the couch watching the beautiful blue smoke magically dancing in the light. I literally had to run out of the house and go home.

Anyway, just keep hammering away at it. It's not "ok" to have just a couple, but the worst thing you can do is give up. Just keep remembering that it does get easier and easier as time passes.

39. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    It also sucks that it is probably summer there - quitting in winter is FUCKING AMAZING, you get to watch all those poor cunts outside freezing their asses off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

40. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Bill Schwartzski's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by somedude76 View Post
    I've tried quitting about 4 or 5 times in 15 years. FUCK MY LIFE IT'S HARD!!! Most of those times I thought I failed because I was smoking weed all the time. After smoking a bowl a cigarette was the first thing I wanted. I'd get stoned, and have a cigarette or two. But when you smoke everyday, and you wanted a smoke or two every day....well I was back to a pack a day within the month.
    I don't understand this at all. I'm a very heavy pot smoker. To me, pot smoke is like chocolate compared to cigarette smoke which is like bland salt water taffy from the state fair. The last thing I want to do when my mouth is covered in delicious chocolate honey is shove a bunch of tasteless goo on top of it.

I like tobacco a lot and nicotine is a very special drug. The way I "beat" cigs is that I told myself I wasn't ever going to quit - just "stop". This way, I don't have anxiety associated with having a cigarette if I really want one. The end result is I probably smoke maybe 2 cigarettes a month. I don't feel bad or beat myself up, nerves don't suffer, so I don't want to smoke more. Really I have a hard time even burning it down by half these days.

41. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I used to always smoke a cigarette after pot, it (to me) brought it on a lot quicker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

42. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Nicotine really mellows out the sudden kick I get from weed; I want to smoke because it gives me an excuse to pace around outside away from people for a minute so as to collect my thoughts. But at the same time, it's not a trigger like drinking.

43. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schwartzski View Post
    I don't understand this at all. I'm a very heavy pot smoker. To me, pot smoke is like chocolate compared to cigarette smoke which is like bland salt water taffy from the state fair. The last thing I want to do when my mouth is covered in delicious chocolate honey is shove a bunch of tasteless goo on top of it.

I like tobacco a lot and nicotine is a very special drug. The way I "beat" cigs is that I told myself I wasn't ever going to quit - just "stop". This way, I don't have anxiety associated with having a cigarette if I really want one. The end result is I probably smoke maybe 2 cigarettes a month. I don't feel bad or beat myself up, nerves don't suffer, so I don't want to smoke more. Really I have a hard time even burning it down by half these days.
    Ya, I always felt like smoking a cigarette after roasting a bowl. It was like putting a finish on it. Can't really explain it. Of course a cig is shit in comparison to the taste and aroma, but that wasn't the point.

I tried the, "smoking only a few cigarettes a day", approach. I did good for about 3 months. But, I like smoking too much and it gets out of control. One bad day and I'm putting down a full pack. I have to quit completely.

44. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I am still not smoking.

How you doing Hilmar?

I will admit to having bought a cigarello some time last week. But that is it.

R/P
    Power
    congrats somedude! you're an inspiration to me to try again.

46. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I wouldn't bother T'Renn, you'd try, get over entitled into thinking that you "have already quit" then fall in love with someone shit at quitting, then get mad when someone points out that you are still a smoker, then have your period and throw your vaginal yeast around and "quit" quitting (again).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

47. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Well, what I can say is that I've smoked all the tobacco in my ashtray. It's amazing how much loose tobacco is actually in that place between where the filter paper starts and where the actual filter begins. Some of the nastiest, dirtiest, oldest, stinkiest tobacco I've smoked in my life has been rolled up in zig-zags and crutched with used filters.

But the process of cutting down from real cigarettes to sorry excuses for cigarettes to nothing has been easier than straight-up cold turkey, and I'm also drinking a lot less than I was before. Just been trying to keep busy doing other stuff, basically.

48. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Some Generally Awesome Dude's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Just keep at it. Just like your your raging homosexuality, it gets better.

49. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Also, solo PVP helps because I'm not reminded by my FC once an hour that it's time to dock up and have a smoke break/bio.

50. Pre-Person
    R/P
    Power
    I smoked for over 10 years and quit cold turkey over a year ago. What helped me was I made sure I continued going out on smoke breaks at work and just wouldn't smoke but hung out with everybody. That way when I would go out to bars and drink etc. I was already used to not smoking but being around it all. I guess I just had enough will power to just quit. There were plenty of times I would have cravings though it would only last 2-5 minutes and I would just keep telling myself its not worth it and knew the craving would pass.