CEX.io
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Titan Rebalance 2012 - "Move the goalposts closer, I can't score"

1. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    It would appear the Goon Blob has finally won eve... \o/ Personally I welcome our new Goon overlords and wish them a pleasant stay

by CCP Greyscale

Hi everyone,

We're not happy with the effectiveness of large groups of titans against subcapital ships, so we're making some adjustments to titans and to XL turrets.

This is a quick, surgical adjustment to solve a specific issue we have identified. It's not a general titan balance pass, and we don't consider titans "done" after this change. Titans will require significant further changes, and probably an overall adjustment in role, before they're in a place where we're really happy with them. This will require a reasonably significant amount of work, which we unfortunately don't have the spare resources for right now. In a similar vein, we're not making more extensive balance changes (or addressing this issue in a more technically complex way) because we're allocating the minimum resources needed to resolve the specific issue (titans performing excessively well against subcaps in certain circumstances) satisfactorily. If you have any further questions about this paragraph, please ask away

For the immediate future and until such time as we have the resources available to do a comprehensive overhaul, we want to ensure that titans perform decently against other capitals, but do not represent a serious threat to subcaps. We want titans to have clear vulnerabilities, and as much as possible to have them acting in support of the main capital/subcap fleet rather than the other way round. We've already prevented doomsdays from being fired at subcaps, and this adjustment should continue that trend.

We have talked to the CSM about this, and we're comfortable going forward with these changes in light of that discussion. I'm not going to put words in their mouths, though.

Specific changes being made:

XL turret tracking halved, siege module tracking penalty removed

This should generally make titan performance against small targets significantly worse, without seriously impacting their effectiveness against larger targets, or negatively impacting dreadnaughts in their common use-case (ie, in siege mode).

Titans reduced to 3 maximum locked targets, and base scan resolution reduced to 5

This should make trying to engage smaller targets very inefficient, due to long lock-times and an inability to queue many targets at once. This reinforces the titan's MO as a slow-acting but hard-hitting platform (in line with the doomsday's huge damage and 10 minute RoF). The scan res number is balanced around multiple Cormack's sensor boosters, on the assumption that money is not a limiting factor for titan pilots, and therefore that people will shell out for officer SBs if that lets them continue do this kind of thing. Our understanding is that this isn't standard practice right now, but we have to balance for expected behavior after the change, and for worst-case scenarios.

Expected release schedule for these changes

These changes should hit TQ some time in April. If there is a sizable release in April then expect them to turn up then; if not then we'll announce deployment dates for these changes closer to the time.

Changes considered and discarded:

(I'm expecting at least three people to not read the word "discarded" and make angry posts about something in this section. C'est la vie.)

Titans can't lock subcaps at all

Guaranteed effective solution, but we considered it too hacky and restrictive.

Adding a "minimum sig radius" attribute to turrets, below which damage would fall off regardless of tracking

Too big a change and more technical work than we actually needed to solve the problem.

Changing the lock time formula

As it is, the lock time formula doesn't really scale in a nice way between battleships and capitals (the kink in the curve always happens around cruisers regardless of the scan res and sig radius), but again we decided we could solve the issue without resorting to this sort of technical work.

Changing XL missiles to match

While in a strictly regimented world we ought in principle to nerf XL missiles and remove the penalties from the siege module for them too, in practice they're not actually a problem due to the way missile damage scales against small targets. Leaving them unchanged also serves to differentiate missiles further from turrets, which might make them more useful on capitals under certain circumstances.
    [B][U]Propolis[/U][/B] - D00M - Northern Coalition.

2. Pre-Person
    R/P
    Power
    Got a link to the source of this?

nvm, found it: https://forums.eveonline.com/default...=posts&t=80374

3. What Good Is a Glass Dagger? Ricky's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropic9 View Post
    Got a link to the source of this?
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default...=posts&t=80374

4. The Idiot Bastard Son Internet Spaceships's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Christ what a shitty title.

5. Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher? Endie's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    In a fortnight of bad OPs this one may actually be the shittiest.

R/P
    Power
    so What will be new counter to 1000 nap fest fleet? A 2000 fleet nap fest?

7. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Nuke this thread, keep the serious discussion thread.

8. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    Discussing how Goons have won eve cannot be a serious discussion imo!

R/P
    Power
    a bloo bloo bloo

(get out)
    [twitter]themittani[/twitter]

10. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    \o/ the rage is strong

Shitposting from work is moderately entertaining... 3.5h to go

11. Electric Ant
    R/P
    Power
    Coming out of lurking to comment on the bad going on. So much bad.

12. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Are all [s]raidendot[/s] ncdot posters this bad/mad?

13. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Yang Wenli's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Titans are the one ship class that CCP has never done right.

Every incarnation has had such a terrible effect on the game, that I have honestly been praying all along that CCP would just provide a mineral refund to their owners and delete the entire hull-class.

That said, this dev post gave me a huge amount of hope for the future. Like super-carriers, titans will now fit squarely now in the role of "anti-capital" warfare, instead of being anti-everything.

I think they are right to say that, down the road, titans need a complete revision and a new role, but for now this will go a long way to addressing the current issues causes by titan blobs in 0.0 warfare.

14. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanloch View Post
    Are all [s]raidendot[/s] ncdot posters this bad/mad?
    Mostly just me when I'm at work. When I'm at home I'm a totally different animal!

R/P
    Power
    When your ahead of the game you are untouchable NBD NBD NBD CCP made a huge error in the change not gonna point it out but the game is afoot gentleman.

16. Inconstant Moon John Caffeine's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Yang Wenli View Post
    Titans are the one ship class that CCP has never done right.

Every incarnation has had such a terrible effect on the game, that I have honestly been praying all along that CCP would just provide a mineral refund to their owners and delete the entire hull-class.

That said, this dev post gave me a huge amount of hope for the future. Like super-carriers, titans will now fit squarely now in the role of "anti-capital" warfare, instead of being anti-everything.

I think they are right to say that, down the road, titans need a complete revision and a new role, but for now this will go a long way to addressing the current issues causes by titan blobs in 0.0 warfare.
    They won't be great at killing cap fleets either, appart from the DD every 10 minutes, which is hardly worth risking your 100b isk ship for when a 20b isk supercarrier will do the job better. Titans haven't really been given a role of "anti-capital" warfare, they're worse at that than they used to as well.

Besides, how often do you see large capital fleets around except to rep tracking titans or rep/rf structures?

R/P
    Power
    From the frontlines of CCP-US system, reaction to the titan changes:

(bigger picture: http://i.imgur.com/Qg93X.jpg)

18. Super Moderator ihaveahelmet's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Manny won eve.

Richter_Belmont: under Article 14, section 88, paragraph 420 of the B0Tl0rd Accord, it says "you're gay LOL pwned"

19. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    It would appear the EVE-O forums are up and down like hell due to rage overload

20. Shoot blues, Tell Vile Rat. Vile rat's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    This is a temp. stopgap fix because ccp finally acknowledge that subcaps aren't being blapped because every single one of them mysteriously flies directly at titans as some have claimed, but instead because titans scale really poorly when you have masses of them and the implemented brake for titans shooting small ships (transversal) is thrown out the window when you have to maintain transversal to blobs of the fucking things.

So for a period of time you won't be able to rely on this one class of ships to take on subcap fleets. I'd adjust your thinking honestly because I doubt they'll nerf titans tracking, limit subcaps for dd's, and take away AOE dd just to put in some mechanism to shoot subcaps again. They will be redesigned with an actual role in mind instead of the patchwork bullshit we've been dealing with for the past few years and that's the right move in my opinion.

R/P
    Power
    so what is the counter to having 1000 duders in maelstroms

rofl jk n1 mittani
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

22. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffraider View Post
    so what is the counter to having 1000 duders in maelstroms

rofl jk n1 mittani

200 falcons.

23. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Yang Wenli's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caffeine View Post
    They won't be great at killing cap fleets either, appart from the DD every 10 minutes, which is hardly worth risking your 100b isk ship for when a 20b isk supercarrier will do the job better. Titans haven't really been given a role of "anti-capital" warfare, they're worse at that than they used to as well.

Besides, how often do you see large capital fleets around except to rep tracking titans or rep/rf structures?
    The reason you never see 'cap fleets' anymore is because super-cap fleets made them obsolete post-Dominion.

Why siege a dread when you can launch bombers that never run out of ammo while staying at full jump-cap?

It isn't even just about structure killing or anti-capital warfare, supers were also better at handling support. This was especially true when you could DD sub-caps, but tracking-fit titans and sentry-launching super-carriers were also effective when used well.

Now that supers lack a strong ability to combat sub-caps, it might make sense for the "we want to beat 1000 people with 300 people" types to try and use carriers more often.

Look at what PL did in C-J, they popped many Tengus doing exactly this.

After the super nerfs, using carriers to escalate sub-cap fights is really a great way for 0.0 battles to "build up" in my view.

One side bring sub-caps and starts to win, so the other side uses carriers to counter the incoming dps. This might result in a dread counter-drop, which might in-turn lead to a super-carrier + titan drop, and so forth.

Doesn't that sound more awesome than one side not even committing sub-caps because they will just die to titans?

24. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Opti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Vile rat View Post
    This is a temp. stopgap fix because ccp finally acknowledge that subcaps aren't being blapped because every single one of them mysteriously flies directly at titans as some have claimed, but instead because titans scale really poorly when you have masses of them and the implemented brake for titans shooting small ships (transversal) is thrown out the window when you have to maintain transversal to blobs of the fucking things.

So for a period of time you won't be able to rely on this one class of ships to take on subcap fleets. I'd adjust your thinking honestly because I doubt they'll nerf titans tracking, limit subcaps for dd's, and take away AOE dd just to put in some mechanism to shoot subcaps again. They will be redesigned with an actual role in mine instead of the patchwork bullshit we've been dealing with for the past few years and that's the right move in my opinion.
    this

someone is always going to blappable over and over and over again

how is that different that just straight locking up 5 people and killing them 1 by 1

bad mechanics is not an excuse

25. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Some Generally Awesome Dude's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Yang Wenli View Post
    Doesn't that sound more awesome than one side not even committing sub-caps because they will just die to titans?
    That's how it is intended to play out imo.

26. Pre-Person
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Propolis View Post
    It would appear the Goon Blob has finally won eve...
    You can put the trophy over there, among the other ones.

R/P
    Power

So for a period of time you won't be able to rely on this one class of ships to take on subcap fleets. I'd adjust your thinking honestly because I doubt they'll nerf titans tracking, limit subcaps for dd's, and take away AOE dd just to put in some mechanism to shoot subcaps again. They will be redesigned with an actual role in mind instead of the patchwork bullshit we've been dealing with for the past few years and that's the right move in my opinion.
    yeah this seems reasonable only 40 seconds to lock a dread rofl

TITANS NOW HAVE A ROLE OF SUPER SLOW DOOMSDAY DEVICES THAT COST 100B AND ARE WORSE THAN A MOROS

ADJUSTING THINKING NOW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Opti View Post
    this

someone is always going to blappable over and over and over again

how is that different that just straight locking up 5 people and killing them 1 by 1

bad mechanics is not an excuse
    you are yet again confirming yourself to be a dumb piece of shit

lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    are you trying to make me feel guilty with these posts, or just more smug, i'm confused

fwiw greyscale and i can barely exchange a civil word and this wasn't a ~mittens metagame~ thing but i'm absolutely delighted to take all the credit you guys are giving me

30. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Opti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    you are yet again confirming yourself to be a dumb piece of shit

lol
    PL can still hotdrop lone supercaps ratting tho j3ffr41d3r

Y R U SO MAD ALL THE TIME

is it because you just got SHIT ALL OVER HOHO

e: hey jeff SHAME ABOUT THAT AMAKAKE GATE CAMP LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLolololo lolOOOLOLOLololol

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mittani View Post
    are you trying to make me feel guilty with these posts, or just more smug, i'm confused

fwiw greyscale and i can barely exchange a civil word and this wasn't a ~mittens metagame~ thing but i'm absolutely delighted to take all the credit you guys are giving me
    what do you think of these changes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

32. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power

That must mean this is just a greyscale publicity stunt

33. Shoot blues, Tell Vile Rat. Vile rat's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    yeah this seems reasonable only 40 seconds to lock a dread rofl

TITANS NOW HAVE A ROLE OF SUPER SLOW DOOMSDAY DEVICES THAT COST 100B AND ARE WORSE THAN A MOROS

ADJUSTING THINKING NOW
    40s lock time vs dreads isn't going to be a big game changer either way. Sorta feels like that wasn't the intent of the change though to be fair.

R/P
    Power
    40s lock time vs dreads isn't going to be a big game changer either way. Sorta feels like that wasn't the intent of the change though to be fair.
    haha holy shit m8 reread what you just wrote
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

35. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Opti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    haha holy shit m8 reread what you just wrote
    40s until you lose half your dreads

SUCKS BUT ILL TAKE IT

R/P
    Power
    what do you think of these changes?
    i think we're going to buy up firesaled titans like madmen and keep pooping them out as fast as we can

R/P
    Power
    i think we're going to buy up firesaled titans like madmen and keep pooping them out as fast as we can
    /o\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

38. This is harsh. Evaluate me
    R/P
    Power
    And in the epic battle of CCP webservers vs epic rage...

Epic Rage WINS!!

This site is currently undergoing maintenance.We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

39. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Opti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    good choice oh dear leader

i see that your critical thinking is elevated, these lower scrubs don't know bout dem capital sov warfare thingies

R/P
    Power
    Im not so bothered by the change but I think the lock time needs to be adjusted from the suggested change so they can still fill the role as cap/supercap killers. Titans need to be able to lock dreads/carriers/supercarriers/titans faster than the suggested change other than that I have no arguments.

Too address the dudes (CFC) that are smashing the F5 key awaiting tears here is my retort:

Plebs will always be plebs cowards will always be cowards you can't boost nerf that. We will still have our pound of flesh as always just the utensils in which we devour it will change somewhat. For titan owners the change sucks dick but the battlefield has already evolved. CCP Greyscale made a critical error in this change and it will be hilarious when its exploited.

R/P
    Power
    well, someone had to write the first puppetmasta post of this bad thread, thanks for taking one for the team manny

42. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Why don't you tell us about this alleged exploit instead of smugging about it in every thread.

43. The Theory and Practice of Time Travel Kitty Vintner's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by evilweasel
    SA crosspost

R/P
    Power
    TITANS ARE THE BEST SHIPS IN THE GAME THAT CAN DOOMSDAY BRO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    well, someone had to write the first puppetmasta post of this bad thread, thanks for taking one for the team manny

You should be happy Mittens you got a nice victory here. Unfortunately however this change is of no real consequence when your alliance has a avg skillpoints of 74m sp.

46. The Theory and Practice of Time Travel Kitty Vintner's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Keep rollin wit da punches manny B)

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanloch View Post
    Why don't you tell us about this alleged exploit instead of smugging about it in every thread.
    What would be the fun in that

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    You should be happy Mittens you got a nice victory here. Unfortunately however this change is of no real consequence when your alliance has a avg skillpoints of 74m sp.
    THAT'S MORE THAN MY MAIN FUCK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

49. Scammer
    R/P
    Power
    i kind of get the idea that we're not absolutely awful at this game

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister McTag View Post
    i kind of get the idea that we're not absolutely awful at this game
    that is an awesome conclusion to draw m8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]