CEX.io
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MechWarrior bestest robot franchise ever made

R/P
    Power

So I couldn't find a topic, have the latest trailer

Word from the beta is that hit location boxes are in, heat gauges are in, and full customization is out.

Things in the trailer to note for those of you who geek out about BT as hard as I do:

1. Setting appears to be just before the Clan Invasion. This means all that fun stuff like Hanse Davion is still alive and we're all going to die about a year from now beneath the feet of Mad Cats. And I for one am going to love it, even the giant stompy metal bird feet crushing me when they do their first major expansion.

2. That's an Archer across the bay at 00:39 or I'll eat my socks. Has shit been completely sorted with Harmony Gold?

3. I can't tell what the other 'Mech visible at 00:28 and 1:06 is, but I think it might be a Battlemaster. Also Unseen, though not Macross-related so I think it's safe again.

2. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Blew my proverbial load on the screen. I want to believe, but this isn't the first BT MMO trailer that's been released without a finished product.

I have some experience with BT MMOs and the best ones don't include Clan for obvious reasons. Regardless of added cost, Clan stomps the shit out of IS, even with 2:1 or even 3:1 odds unless the Clan commander is a fucking retard. MW4 kind of did it right by making Clan weapons more specialized but not better in practice (i.e., Med Lasers > C.ER Med Lasers just based on damage/heat) but that wasn't an MMO and didn't exactly follow BTech rules.

In any case, if this game actually hits release, it'll be the first game I've bought since Minecraft.

R/P
    Power
    kinda bummed this is going to be a ftp like tanks. if this was done with a single persistent universe, with the full scope of the mechwarrior world; Jump-ships/aerofighters/drop ships/mechs/vehicles/support/elemental who wouldn't be all about it

4. Promiscuous
    R/P
    Power
    I don't mind it being f2p so long as it isn't p2w. Acronym acronym.

Is this game related somehow to the also-in-development TBS Mechwarrior Tactics?

5. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    Is this game related somehow to the also-in-development TBS Mechwarrior Tactics?
    I don't understand why anybody would make a Mechwarrior Tactics game seeing as BattleTech is essentially a tactics game to begin with and there's a ton of faithful incarnations already released (most of them free and some of them MMO-style).

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    There's this thing, it's called MegaMek.

7. Promiscuous
    R/P
    Power
    @Hilmar & Night: I imagine it's called MechWarrior for a reason — so they can take licenses with the BT core and make it "more accessible" or whatever.

I asked if they were related because I didn't know, not because I was mourning the dearth of digital board games (y'sillybilly).

... turns out the games are being made by different devs but published by the same new Canadian startup, Infinite Game Publishing. MWO is being produced by Piranha Games under license from Smith & Tinker (Weisman's new thing) whereas MWT is being produced by... Roadhouse Interactive and Acronym Games.

I don't know if S&T is involved with Tactics — a forum thread seems to indicate that they are (as opposed to Roadhouse & Acronym dealing directly with Microsoft). Huh, there is apparently yet another MW game — MW: Tactical Command, an iOS game.

I would venture to say S&T is sub-licensing all of these MW titles. They bought some sort of licensing agreement from Microsoft for all of FASA's old properties... it's a shame they couldn't by the whole IP catalog back. Ah well.

8. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    FTP explains why the graphics look like shit I guess. I hope it's good.

9. Promiscuous
    R/P
    Power
    So, this is somewhat tangential, but Penny Arcade Report did had a look at MW Tactics:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...nd-take-our-mo

The cut of its jib is most agreeable.

10. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Looks interesting, but I currently lack real life money to buy extra packs so not sure if I should start playing it as I usually get bored very quickly with just f2p items. Anyone thinking of picking this up when it gets released?

Just registered for a account and will follow it closely.

Can I see this game as a turn based Mechcommander?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronke View Post
    Can I see this game as a turn based Mechcommander?

EDIT: Just to make this clear, I loved MechCommander, but BattleTech is at its core a turn-based game with a bunch of FPS/RTS derivations that hardly do justice to the original game's complexity. It's like calling a tactics version of Warhammer 40k "a turn-based version of Warhammer Online"

12. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilmar Keller View Post

EDIT: Just to make this clear, I loved MechCommander, but BattleTech is at its core a turn-based game with a bunch of FPS/RTS derivations that hardly do justice to the original game's complexity. It's like calling a tactics version of Warhammer 40k "a turn-based version of Warhammer Online"
    I just tried to compare it with something I knew

I never done the table top game or involved my self with its lore. I just love the fact that I am walking in a 20foot robot with lasers and missiles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Promiscuous
    R/P
    Power
    Meh, I don't give half a fuck what it's called, tbh. Acronym Acronym Wartimes Acronym Walky-bots Online Stategery.

I have some sentimental attachment to the brand, but all I ultimately care about is whether the mechanics are solid and the underlying game is fun. The visual & aural aesthetics are important, too, but they take a back seat.

Mainly I'm just kinda having a weak-ass existential crisis whenever I hear of a new cool game, because I know I probably won't have time to check it out. So many games, so many interesting new startups, so few years in m'life. Eff you, universe. Right up where you don't like to be effed.

14. Slowly Dying Like Dried Grapes Vonqueesha Shenaynay's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    To tell the truth I'm just fucking stoked to have another BT-esque game to play again.

My fondest memories of gaming when I was a kid involve two things:

- Zapping the fuck out of Allies with Tesla Coils in C&C: Red Alert

- Booting MechWarrior2 from MS-DOS and watching that awesome awesome intro over and over.
    [B]I PAID 25 EUROS FOR A SIG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY TROLL ATTEMPT[/B]

15. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Oh is this the thread where we gush about how awesome MW intro videos are?

16. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power

Those are my favourite battletech video's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    I've been trying to find my MechCommander Box forever.

18. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I've been trying to find my MechCommander Box forever.
    If you can not find your copie, both MechCommander 1 and 2 are free to download from there website. It does not contain any intro's/outro's or ingame videos/dialogues.

But you can still do the missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

19. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    I found MC + the expansion for free a couple years ago, you can play them using a virtual drive or by burning the .ISO to a disc.

Honestly the expansion is kind of shite though I do like playing Turkinas stacked with X-Pulse lasers, blapityblap.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronke View Post
    But you can still do the missions.
    Oh no, I still have the disks for MC, MCG, and MC2. (Along with Magic's Unofficial Expansion for MC2 and the only released fanmade MCG campaign ever, Pirates of DSC.)

I mean the physical box, because it had that cool "Know What It Is To Command" spiel on the back.

21. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

22. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

23. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Not included (yet, hopefully)
    The developers shared that the following will not be available at launch, though they have indicated discussions have been held for some. I’m hoping that there will be plans for the others:
    No multiplayer (2v2, or more) battles
    No larger scale battles (company, or battalion-sized scale)
    No other units (tanks, infantry, air support, off board artillery)
    No clans/factions (though there are discussions on how to support player-led communities)
    No trade or auction system
    No overall persistent universe

24. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Yes that is why I linked it. I always thought that MechWarrior Tactics was supposed to be a multiplayer game but reading that, it was like a kick in the groin >:/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

25. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I don't know how it's going, but Mechwarrior Living Legends was pretty fun.

Even though it's a crysis mod, it had mechs, vehciles and battlesuit combat/weaponry

26. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I don't have Crysis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

27. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Here's the site:

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

You need Crysis Wars to play it, the latest build only supports wars.

You can get Wars by getting Crysis Warhead, or the Complete pack, warhead itself seems to be £16.99 on Steam, the pack being £24.99.

Not as cheap as I imagined, but you only need Warhead and the mod still seems to be updating/alive.

28. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Opti's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    god i remember playing mw3 on ZONE.NET on my 266mhz 32meg ram shitbox

so good

29. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    So I just found a gameplay trailer for MWO and it looks good so far, missile/limb effects are more pretty than I've seen in any previous MW installation and the HUD is realistic without being too esoteric.

I still know not to believe until there's a concrete release date.

E:

R/P
    Power

31. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? Czeris's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    The graphics definitely leave something to be desired, and c'mon COPY PROTECTION??

Attachment 2877

32. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Can't wait! :X

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Czeris View Post
    The graphics definitely leave something to be desired, and c'mon COPY PROTECTION??

Attachment 2877
    My god, I played that... Crescent Hawks Inception?

R/P
    Power

35. Tū-whakaheke-tangata xutech's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

36. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Rer View Post
    This is definitely a worthy contender. I'm impressed; the main problem with the BT universe is its inability to strike a 'happy medium' between complexity and simplicity. MW4 was probably the best attempt; MW3 was too complex for most (though I loved it) and MechAssault was underwhelmingly simple. I don't need four weapon groups to be effective; I usually have a third and fourth just in case my arms get blown off. All you need is long range and close range, large and small, ammo and energy.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Rer View Post
    We'll see, though MWO has betaized itself recently.

38. The Alien Mind
    R/P
    Power
    I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to chime and say how much I am looking forward to trying all these titles, and how PISSED OFF I am that the beta for MWO is US only (you can pre-order and get some shiney things and beta access). Do they not realise how big CBT is outside the US? :rage:

Tactics looks like a shiny graphics version of mekwars/megamek, which could be cool. Spent years playing mekwars (CHW and TT servers for those who ever played).

Also, amongst the videos somehow no one posted the greatest campaign intro I've seen in a game:
    Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home. RIP Vile Rat.

R/P
    Power
    Just found this thread, fitting, since I got into the beta a few days ago
    Outpost Update guy, DTHI lifer, (retired) alliance leadership guy <--- read also whipping boy, and Bitter VET asshole who can't give up EVE.
    Twitter - Banlish , more media shit coming as I get the cash together for outpost update type things.

40. The Alien Mind
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Banlish View Post
    since I got into the beta a few days ago

That stravag freebirth Jordan Weisman giving me mech

Why no world wide beta?

41. Tū-whakaheke-tangata xutech's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagetaka
    Let's be honest about what House Steiner is- Space Germans.

That's fine, really. Every House is pretty much a thinly veiled cultural/racial stereotype. We don't need to go over them all. Some are really far more offensive to the cultures they represent (the 1980s were not the most PC decade).

The Lyrans are predominantly German in culture, apart from those troublesome separatist Scots (Isle of Skye- if you haven't put two and two together, that's a nickname in actual real world today for actual real world Scotland). Nowadays we're familiar with German culture's more harmless side- techno, schnitzel, uptightness, a strong economy. That's nothing bad- believe me, I was stationed in Germany for three years and loved every minute.

But there's one word always floating around there, just below everyone's notice, and nobody really wants to mention it when we're playing a fun Space Pew Pew Robot game.

Nazis.

German military tradition is what has kept Germany fighting above its weight class the last 150 years; to be frank, it has picked fights in the last century it had no business winning except for its industrial might and strong military; the WWII Wehrmacht was probably the most copied and studied army of any nation at any time in history. At some point the stereotype of the deadly serious German soldier embedded itself as deeply as the (far more unfair, historically inaccurate) one of the French "cheese-eating surrender monkey".

So why, in any piece of fiction or fluff from the original game (and plenty from later on in the timeline), do the Space Germans suck so bad at...actually fighting a war?

Because of a conscious effort on the part of the original source authors to eliminate any potential Nazi imagery or parallels. Remember, tabletop wargame grognards already have a fairly unhealthy Wehrmacht Worship Complex (just point out any of Rommel's very real shortcomings over a tabletop and watch the profanities fly), and a strong Lyran military steamrollering Marik and Kurita units in a few pieces of game fluff is all it would take before your next tabletop game would be against an angry fat guy in his 40s with a buzzcut and a bunch of miniatures with SS lightning bolts and Death's Heads all over them.

So to avoid all this unpleasantness, a new cultural stereotype. Not the lean and mean German with the iconic helmet and the thousand-yard stare. Instead, the fat bearded Prussian aristocrat, full of beer and mutton and barely able to squeeze into his Assault Mech. Instead of the German tradition of junior officers showing initiative and the de facto requirement that senior officers come from combat arms, the Prussian tradition of aristocratic appointees, and the usual choice of second and third sons (ie those not in line for family titles) to accept cushy military positions. Instead of the (practically German-invented) close training of combined arms, we have the big, ponderous artilllery pieces of their day (ie, Assault Mechs). Instead of the cultural obsession with accurate intel and recon, we have senior officers who have no use for anything under 80 tons.

In short- FASA made you guys fat, slow and incompetent on purpose. They'd rather have Elsies than Nazis. Just look at the FedCom Alliance- they were trolling you all along. It took the Space French to show you how to fight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

42. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    How dare you defy logic, Xutech. The solution to every btech-related problem is always more Atlases.

43. The Alien Mind
    R/P
    Power

R/P
    Power
    It's a great game, having a good time. The whole Anti-goon thing is pissing me the fuck off though, I mean yeah when your online for a few years you don't like goons, then you realize that they actually make content and it's a good thing. Remember when BoB having alts post 'Lets have a vote for the best alliance in the game' threads were EVERY. OTHER. FUCKING. THREAD. ON. COAD. yeah, that fucking sucked. Give me some goonies over that ego stroking bullshit.
    Outpost Update guy, DTHI lifer, (retired) alliance leadership guy <--- read also whipping boy, and Bitter VET asshole who can't give up EVE.
    Twitter - Banlish , more media shit coming as I get the cash together for outpost update type things.

45. The Alien Mind
    R/P
    Power
    It's a great game, having a good time. The whole Anti-goon thing is pissing me the fuck off though, I mean yeah when your online for a few years you don't like goons, then you realize that they actually make content and it's a good thing. Remember when BoB having alts post 'Lets have a vote for the best alliance in the game' threads were EVERY. OTHER. FUCKING. THREAD. ON. COAD. yeah, that fucking sucked. Give me some goonies over that ego stroking bullshit.
    Goons are taking over MWO now? :P

When you said good game, did you mean MWO?

R/P
    Power
    Yeah, I've been playing the Beta for a bit, it plays like it should. An Atlas feels like it's a damn Atlas, I'm 10 meters up, slow as dirt, have a ton of armor and fast mechs run around plinking my back armor if I run out like a moron. While a jenner you can run full blast towards a hill with two heavy mechs coming around from either side of it, nail your jump jets and sail OVER the very tall hill and keep going while their saying 'Dafuq?'

I only have those two atm, you get around 250,000 to 100,000 cbills per match depending how you play it out. If you're in a jenner and not spotting enemy mechs but instead trying to just kill people with your little pee shooters then you won't get much. If you run around tagging enemy mechs so your heavier guys can get the intel it rewards you very generously even if your team fails the match, you did your job so it's a decent system that could be refined a bit more but I'm enjoying.

Some people are already twinking obviously, a few catapults that have been heavily modified with either AC/10's, AC/20's or a Gauss rifle (couldn't tell honestly, it just *THUNKED* and my armor started getting worn quickly) can sit in trees and with their one weapon blast some people down.

Some people seem to be 'trying' to pull off their actual roles however, I saw one team where 2 catapults and an Atlas sat back at the edge of the base with a Hunch back providing body guard duty for them absolutely wreck a Jagermech, and two Atlas's on the other side. The trick was their buddy in the Jenner ran ahead, bounced up on a hill and went 'hull down' (he backed up so only the top of his mech was looking down and his profile was small unless you were looking right up at him) whatever he spotted the two catapults and atlas would rain down 100 lrms between their mechs in a single volley. The jagger mech took 2 volleys, the first Atlas took I think 3 maybe 4, and the second Atlas must have had bad luck and the first flight from them blew out his cockpit and killed him. After that it was almost pathethic to clean up the enemy with 3 of their biggest mechs already down within the first 5 minutes of the match. I learned a ton from a few people, there doesn't seem to be to many 'fuck you n00b, learn2play LOL' crap going on (yet) but it'll probably come after the beta ends.

Modding your mech is a great deal of fun and parts aren't two expensive, a few matches should give you enough to play around with almost anything. However, and just like EVE, you can't use 1 part across 6 mechs, you can take it off a mech between matches and move it to another machine but you can't use it on 6 and never have to move it around. You don't seem to have to rebuy items like in EVE however over and over, you will get your mech back at the end and have to pay for how badly it got fucked up before it died. But a full repair doesn't cost more then maybe 300k for an Atlas.

If you work with your team, listen to people who know their roles and take good suggestions you can have a ton of fun. It is hard for me personally to not have the Z access to use after almost 8 years of EVE but you get used to it. And the graphics aren't horrible, their not the best thing in the world but their not terrible either. The Crysis engine is great and it can be a blast, you just ready up, climb into a match after a try or two and get going.

The match system I haven't really looked at to much, it does seem to try to make the teams a little even but I have no idea what it's using to deterimine that. There are only maybe 6 mechs I keep seeing in matches (Jenner, Hunchback, Jagermech, Catapult, Dragon and Atlas) but it's still early yet and I believe their trying to have around 20 mechs on launch.

When you start out you have a small pile of C-Bills(isk) and I think it was PB(purchase bucks? basically loyalty points), you can afford one of any mech with a pile of each. So I went for an Atlas and a Jenner to be able to do mostly any role and back fill into the heavies. You get both per match depending how you perform and the mathces typically last 8 to 20 minutes depending how serious the two sides take it. There are the typical guys who think Atlas = unstoppable killing machine, but they get reduced pretty quickly if they run ahead with out using cover. Good scouts seem to be a little rare atm as everyone thinks it's great to start in an Atlas or Catapult and play 'I CAN SHOOTS STUFFZ'.

The game is coming along, it's a little rough but by the time it launches it should be a good thing (like LoL or HoN between ops) to take up a quick bit of time and enjoy yourself. I'm personally hoping Reddit and Something Awful pick up MWO and have a great time. Unlike EVE atm, you can be in battles non stop almost all night long, how their going to have that effect the territory control I honestly don't know.

From the old game of 12 years ago (that died still born btw), yes I was a tad lucky and got in that beta too, every battle 'won' by a team would change a sector control by 1%, at 50% it would flip to the attacking side or be contested which would open up other sectors of space behind it for contesting. Some people are theory crafting that it might be similar but they are mostly full of shit, the game devs have said a little how it might work but I can't find the page to link right this second. It didn't sound too complicated but there will obviously be room to bend the rules a bit if people are organized, determined or have a TON of people on their side. All of which I think would be a good 'introduction' to how most hardcore MMO players handle EVE atm, there is a hint of elitism here or there but whether that's bullshit posturing or if they actually believe it I don't really know.

Getting two massive gaming groups involved would probably be the best thing for it, from what I saw (on some MMO tracking site) there is something like 8 pages with I think over 200+ MMO's in devolopment with Swords and Sorcery as their basis, basically copying WoW or trying to bring back the feelings of Ultima Online and Everquest. However, the same site shows barely 15 MMO's in development with a Sci-Fi basis, of which MWO is one. We need more Sci-Fi to show corporate big wigs that MMO gamers don't just want shitty-WoW-clone after shitty-WoW-clone time and again until they realize we don't want the EXACT SAME THING every time with a different covering, we'd like to try something NEW and fucking DIFFERENT.

Probably why so many of us come back to EVE over and over is one of the reasons I'm hoping MWO takes off, it isn't swords and magic, it's not even your typical sci-fi. There aren't any aliens at all in Battletech, it's just humans that spread across the stars and unsurprisingly enough, started fighting with each other over resources and power. Even EVE can't say that with it's Sleepers (though that's debatable if you try to read into sleepers, I haven't btw).

I'll try to take some screen shots to post here or maybe do a small running documentary of a typical night of it on Twitter or something, Not 100% sure I don't really do this kinda stuff often but I like the game. Whatever works, more to come as I get it. Off to sleep for me.

47. The Alien Mind
    R/P
    Power
    lots of words
    Awesome, thanks for the post, really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Some things that initially jumped out at me:

- the UAC20 catapult thing is, for me, a bad sign. As someone who spent years playing online on various mekwars servers, competition was pretty ruthless and with no customisation available (only canon variants) you still had people with 'cheese' armies of nothing but the most broken variants (everything with TCs and LPLs and the like).

- excellent to hear scouting is rewarded and teamwork 'works', sounds like the 'missiles over the ridge' thing is an attempt to work in the CBT double-blind/target spot rules which is cool (radar is pretty shit in the BT 'verse).

- I haven't followed the devblogs that closely lately but I hope the matching system is based on Battle-Value (BV). The original BV system lasted 25 odd years working mostly well. BV 2.0 is about 5 years old or so now and should be a good way to do it.

- 'sovereignty' like you described for the old 3025 game (I assume that's what you meant) was, last time I was active 4+ years ago, much like on mekwars online campaigns, though the idea of sectors wasn't really there then I don't believe, you took a few % at planet-scale.

- hopefully if it is any good to play it gets people, or it will suffer, given from what I read they intend to have most of the Inner Sphere available as the map. Again bringing up mekwars, those server lived and died by their activity to move the campaign along. Numbers = good (you can't blob in the eve sense, if there are no defenders available you can't attack, as I understand it). More organisation will also help, as you mentioned with teams working together.

Thanks again, and some screenies would be great.
    Little side note, there are actually sentient aliens in the CBT canon. In one of the more obscure novels a sentient race of bird type things gets involved in a war, but the story setting safely tucks them away in unknown space and it's kind of a joke in the CBT communities I've been a part of.

[edit] Dug up a link to that book. I have it and it's not that good. I can't even recall any others by this peter rice guy. According to saran wiki there are none *lol*.

BTW that links goes to the Sarna.net wiki, which anyone reading this who wants to learn more about the universe should definitely check out.

48. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    This game sounds awesome. Sucks balls that I'm living in England

49. Tū-whakaheke-tangata xutech's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    That's a great write up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

50. Naturally I finished my set Stronke's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    How you gents plan on playing MWO, mouse + keybord or a joystick?

I never managed to get good with a joystick, perhaps its because of my mad fps skills that I prefer using mouse + keybord.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]