CEX.io
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Focus On The Family: Daily Tidbits from Christians

1. Troll Jegeren Barry Zuckerkorn's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Why did I not find this thread earlier? This is pure gold.

R/P
    Power
    Welcome to the (somewhat) pity party?

I dare not go to the actual website out of fear of losing my gift of having an opinion and the ability to think freely. Sec is now an official medium into the world of the Internet Christian Fanatic.

3. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Agathor View Post
    Never said a prayer in my life, never seen my parents do it ether. Never gone to church unless its a funeral or wedding.

My grandma had a big bible with lovely pictures that we used to look at together, cant say I remember us praying though.
    I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old, and that's how I'm raising them, minus the bible pictures so far.

It's interesting that it's fairly easy to avoid the whole Jesus thing socially, but it's nigh impossible to avoid Santa and the Easter Bunny and all that crap. Other people look at us like we're horrible parents for not making them believe in it, but...

I just don't want to lie to my kids. It's that simple.

I also am amazed at the way everyone is appalled about Catholic priests molesting kids' private parts, but they have no problem with the fact that they're molesting the kids' brains. Noah's Ark? Seriously? The first person that tries to cram that shit into my kid's head is going to get a severe kick in the crotch. I'm not above kicking a vag. Noah's Ark is the whole introduction into "suspend your reason and believe in something that's obviously completely impossible." Why would you want to teach your kid to do that? Why would you EVER reward your kid for suspending critical thought?

My whole family other than me is Catholic, and they're all godparents for each other's kids, since I can't be because I don't go to church.

So I find it ironic that they're all leaving their kids to me in their wills.

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketefrau View Post
    I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old, and that's how I'm raising them, minus the bible pictures so far.

It's interesting that it's fairly easy to avoid the whole Jesus thing socially, but it's nigh impossible to avoid Santa and the Easter Bunny and all that crap. Other people look at us like we're horrible parents for not making them believe in it, but...

I just don't want to lie to my kids. It's that simple.

I also am amazed at the way everyone is appalled about Catholic priests molesting kids' private parts, but they have no problem with the fact that they're molesting the kids' brains. Noah's Ark? Seriously? The first person that tries to cram that shit into my kid's head is going to get a severe kick in the crotch. I'm not above kicking a vag. Noah's Ark is the whole introduction into "suspend your reason and believe in something that's obviously completely impossible." Why would you want to teach your kid to do that? Why would you EVER reward your kid for suspending critical thought?

My whole family other than me is Catholic, and they're all godparents for each other's kids, since I can't be because I don't go to church.

So I find it ironic that they're all leaving their kids to me in their wills.
    While Noah's Ark definitely does require some suspension of critical thinking, it (and the rest of the Bible) should be read allegorically and symbolically. It's also a good children's story because of the animals. vOv

5. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders View Post
    While Noah's Ark definitely does require some suspension of critical thinking, it (and the rest of the Bible) should be read allegorically and symbolically. It's also a good children's story because of the animals. vOv
    Small children being notoriously quick to grasp concepts like allegory and symbolism.

6. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders View Post
    So when Ezekiel's giving instructions for making poop bread to survive on while they go and kill the Egyptians, what's that an allegory for?

I'll agree that it's become a children's story because of the animals, but the "good" part I have to question. As should any rational person, IMHO.

7. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Why not use irony, satire and sarcasm to make them eat their vegetables while you are at it?

8. I'm Only in It for the Money Grim's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    You are all heathens. How is it possibly bad to teach your kids to throw people they dont like overboard during a storm to be eaten by a whale (and potentially survive).
    If you kill enough of them they stop fighting - Gen. Curtis Lemay
    Fear the KKM

9. How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later El Space Mariachi's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I want to try poop bread now

Thanks Zeke

10. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    Oh trust me, I am more than special. I'm swedish!
    R/P
    Power
    [SPOILER='Is malnutrition causing my daughter to misbehave?']
    3 Year Old Daughter that is Obstinate

How do you discipline a 3 yr old girl who has no siblings and misbehaves for attention.

Is there the possibility of nutrition needs not being met that causes her to act this way?

Is she lacking any vitamins or nutrients to caus emisbehavior?
    [/SPOILER]

11. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Securitas View Post

How do you discipline a 3 yr old girl who has no siblings and misbehaves for attention.

Is there the possibility of nutrition needs not being met that causes her to act this way?

[/SPOILER]
    God damn I wish I had an account on this site so I could recommend self-flagellation.

12. How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later El Space Mariachi's Avatar
    R/P
    Power

[/SPOILER]
    "But... she's a good christian! She can't just be "acting out like all other kids"! What am I doing wrong???"

13. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    I'm not trolling, having actually looked at the site it seem to be a very American thing. Don't get me wrong, we have crazy fucks over here too "holy joes" we call them, but nothing like this shit. Adam and Eve being actual people / Dinosaurs living 6 thousands yrs ago / Jeezus walking on water troollllll etc...

Kinda feel sorry for them actually, they've been brought up to think this way, and life's gonna pass them by while they be fretting bout Da Devil.

14. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    oh and for any tard still on the fence as to whether or not God actually exists? please read http://books.google.ie/books/about/T...kC&redir_esc=y

R/P
    Power
    As much as I love Dawkins, and I do, he doesn't actually make a case for the nonexistence of a divine being(s), merely a case that there is no evidence for it. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and all that.

I don't think there's a god, but that's because I prefer that to the possibility of having to wage a war against one as a moral duty, since no one being, no matter how righteous or wise, can be trusted with so much power. I freely admit it's an irrational belief. Based on the evidence I'd have to go with a Scot's Verdict.

16. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    It's all in America because it's one of the few countries where you can go out to the middle of fucking nowhere, raise a cult family and still shop at Wal-Mart without anybody knowing that you exist until ATF comes by to serve you a search warrant and gets blapped in the name of Jesus.

17. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    As much as I love Dawkins, and I do, he doesn't actually make a case for the nonexistence of a divine being(s), merely a case that there is no evidence for it. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and all that.
    Well yeah, I totally agree bro, Dawkins can no more prove that there isn't a God, no more than the Pope can prove that there actually is one. A friend gave me his book and I really liked it, his arguments are well thought out and I like the way he just blatantly laughs in the face all religions.

18. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SPOILER='Give me legal and biblical advice for how to babysit']
    Watching Your Neighbors Kids | Day-Care

Recently, our family has been asked to watch our neighbor's kids as part-time day care during the week, Mon-Fri. I'm looking for some Scripture that would provide wisdom in how to decide if we should do this and then how to structure this so that it will work in our home. I have several concerns about being responsible for another child on a regular basis in our home, but am excited about the opportunity to have our neightbor's kids in our home regularly.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

SpikeyWL

Re: Watching Your Neighbors Kids | Day-Care
    This is more practical than scriptural but I hope it will be helpful.

This is just generic information you might want to think about--nobody should give or follow legal advice on a blog.

Some state and local governments require licensing and inspection for in-home day care and have various safety regulations. My state (CA) has such requirements. To give a few examples, household cleaning chemicals must be stored safely away from the children, caregivers must undergo fingerprinting and background checks and have first-aid training, and there are fire exit rules that vary depending on the number and ages of the children in the home. Those are just a few things I learned from my own day care provider; I've never done it myself. I'd suggest starting with some Internet research or reaching out to other in-home day care providers in your area to learn more about local requirements.

If you own your home, you may want to notify your homeowner's insurance carrier as it could affect the amount and types of coverage you should have. If you rent, you might review your lease to make sure it does not prohibit or restrict your planned activity, possibly notify your landlord of your plans, and speak to a reliable insurance broker about coverage that it might be prudent to obtain.

Consult an accountant about potential tax issues. If you make over a certain amount of money from self-employment, you may be required to make quarterly estimated tax payments.

[/SPOILER]

19. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Ohhhh this one's good.

[SPOILER='Raising children in the end times']
    Raising Kids in End Times (?...)

We love our 2 sons (14 and 16yrs old) and enjoy frank conversations with them...on many topics. We listen to teachings on and study eschatology and regularly; our pastor frequently mentions his belief that we are living in the end times. While we agree and are impatient for The Lord's return, I sometimes wonder how all this talk may be affecting our teens. They talk with optimism about growin up and raising their own family and living many exciting, thrililng experiences.....This is one I would like to have posed to Dr. Dobson...any insight on what to say / not to say...? Thanks y'all.

Re: Raising Kids in End Times (?...)
    Obviously end times discussions have lots of controversy and while I'm not sure where you're coming from, I'll say right now I don't want to be argumentative. I do, however, have two thoughts that might be interesting to you. The first one is that you might find it interesting to research the history of eschatology. In other words, what have people thought about this for the last five hundred years? You will find that people have been incorrectly predicting the end of the world for centuries and that while the times we live in are not good, they never really have been - the OT being a great example. While we may be in the end times in some sense, to God a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day and no one know the day and time. Your boys may very well die of old age even if we are in end times.

My second thought would be that even if Christ comes tomorrow, and Biblically we should be ready for that, nothing we do for God here and now is wasted. THe Bible states that there will be a new heaven and a new earth. All the things we do now, if we do them to worship God, will be redeemed and be part of the future kingdom of heaven after the resurrection. I think that is a great motivator to love life and people and God's creation here and now and still be able to look forward to life then. We live now in a shadow of what will be; but what we do here, if, once again done for God, is not all going up in smoke in the judgement. Will there be a judgement and hard times? Yes. But there is more and that's a sure bet. Hope this helps.
    [/SPOILER]

I like how these christians who herald themselves as the last people on earth who can properly raise kids really don't have a clue.

20. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Bear View Post
    Well yeah, I totally agree bro, Dawkins can no more prove that there isn't a God, no more than the Pope can prove that there actually is one. A friend gave me his book and I really liked it, his arguments are well thought out and I like the way he just blatantly laughs in the face all religions.
    I couldn't stand his tone. I agree with him, but I wanted to beat him with the book by the end of page 3.

It's hard to be that pompous, but Dawkins rises to the challenge.

Raketefrau -- Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1971.

21. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SPOILER='Co-habitating relatives messing up my vacation!']
    How should I handle co-habitating family members going on vacation with us?

This is not as straight forward as it sounds! Oh no! I would not invite a co-habitating couple to vacation with our family! Here's the dilemma:
    My husbands sister is a lesbian and long ago we told her that we would not allow her/her partner to be on vacation with us. We have never met the
    partner, nor have our 4 children (ages 5-14) . My husband's family, however, is fine with the sister and the partner and they all go on vacation together (without us of course)
    and the other chidlren in the family call them "the Aunties". My husband and I are in agreement that our children do not need a lesbian relationship paraded in
    front of them and although the rest of the family thinks we are "intolerant", we have remained strong to love his sister by having just her into our home and trying to
    show her the love of Jesus.

Now we have a family gathering planned and my husbands brother is planning to bring the woman he is living with. How does this look if we attend this gathering (held in 4
    separate cabins) if we won't attend something when his sister is in attendance with her partner? Do we go anyway b/c they are in their own cabin? Do we stay home and stick by our rules about
    no living together before marriage and no bad examples before our children?

I can usually figure these out for myself, but this one has me stumped b/c on the one hand I can see that they need to see Jesus and what a Christlike, Godly family looks like. On the other hand....I don't feel like it's my responsibity to sacrifice my children for the sake of the faith to these people who are living in sin. (That sounds terribly cruel, but I'm sitting on "Don't let bad company corrupt good character." I Corinthians 15:33)

Has anyone dealt with this before and found a Godly, peaceful outcome? I'm very conflicted!
    [/SPOILER]

R/P
    Power
    I have the same respect for Christians as I do any other religion, but some of this stuff makes them sound nuttier than Squirrel shit.
    Twitter: @Vene_T - RIP Vile Rat.

23. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I've been to some awkward dinners at people's houses, but:

we have remained strong to love his sister byhaving just her into our home and trying to show her the love of Jesus.
    That's gotta be nightmare fuel.

R/P
    Power
    Dawkins, Hitchens, and The Amazing Randi (no seriously) convinced me to make the jump from Agnostic to Agnostic Atheist. That might not seem like a big deal, but going from "well maybe" to "I in no way whatsoever believe in a deity, but I can't prove there isn't one" is a big change in some people's eyes, especially here in the States.

25. God damn these electric sex pants Marivauder's Avatar
    R/P
    Power

R/P
    Power
    I wish I was a Muslim...

27. Big slab'a Prussian wurst Malaclypse's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by somedude76 View Post
    Also, to whomever neg-rep'd me about brainwashing....religion isn't brainwashing. If you think so, you are a secular fascist. Personally I am agnostic but I'm not going to correlate spirituality and the belief in a higher power with coercion. To say it's brainwashing makes it sound like a crime. Ridiculous.
    I know no other cause mankind has shed so much blood as over religion. It's ridiculous to not call it a crime honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipmunk McPaul View Post
    What's suprising me though is that a good portion of the posts are about children not being completly obidient and parents being unable to deal with them correctly then actual asking what god would do. Bit like a parental discussion with a bit of christian crazy.
    A "bit of"? It's retardedly insane. "Survival of the fittest" sure as hell doesn't equate to "survival of the smartest". I always questioned Nietzsche's viewpoint in that regard but it really seems like the stupid is just growing, especially when put into relation of how enlightened the Western society should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Peyote View Post
    To be fair, having a Pony themed bowling party is creepy as shit
    Screw you! That's AWESOME! With Fluttershy watching over my lane, I'd strike all those pins down with a dashing rainbow!
    Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys over places of the ground.
    Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brothers down.

The universe is hostile, so impersonal: Devour to survive - So it is, so it's always been!

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaclypse View Post
    I know no other cause mankind has shed so much blood as over religion. It's ridiculous to not call it a crime honestly.
    Power. Shiney things. Because we could.

Shit, half the time religion was just standing around, man. You want to blame the guy the driveby missed for the three-year-old that got killed in the brownstone up the street? Yeah, he's involved, arguably even a causative fashion, but that's kinda assbackwards.

29. Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me Carlton Banks's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Small children being notoriously quick to grasp concepts like allegory and symbolism.
    Language is allegory and symbolism,

stop teaching your children that words equal meaning.

30. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton Banks View Post

I'm teaching my kids to be critical thinkers by constantly lying to them -- they're forced to evaluate just about everything I say to them.

Today my 5 year old got a half-hour lesson on sarcasm until he could come up with examples on his own.

31. Big slab'a Prussian wurst Malaclypse's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketefrau View Post
    I'm teaching my kids to be critical thinkers by constantly lying to them -- they're forced to evaluate just about everything I say to them.

Today my 5 year old got a half-hour lesson on sarcasm until he could come up with examples on his own.
    Dubito, ergo sum, vel, quod idem est, cogito, ergo sum.

The universe is hostile, so impersonal: Devour to survive - So it is, so it's always been!

32. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton Banks View Post

Children lack the mental faculties to deal with shit like that. Their brains are busy wiring up motor neurons and other shit. The shades of grey comes later. You can teach them to parrot back "words does not equal meaning" but they won't understand what it really means until later in life.

Hell, the human brain cannot reason properly about stuff like ethics and morality until the late teens, sometimes well into the twenties.

33. Big slab'a Prussian wurst Malaclypse's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Hell, the human brain cannot reason properly about stuff like ethics and morality until the late teens, sometimes well into the twenties.
    ...if ever.

34. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Most people live their daily lives in stage three and four of Kohlberg's model of moral development. But yeah it would be nice if people spent just a little more time on level 5. At least during election season.

35. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SPOILER='I'll show you mine, you show me yours']
    A curious little boy or problemed?

Our son was exposed to a little boy at our church who introduced him to far more information that we have provided him at home. Now, I discovered that he has shown his privates to his friends and even asked a friend to 'show me yours, I'll show you mine', at our church. I'm mortified... of course I did not grow up with a parent who was understanding or informative regarding these matters. Is my litte boy headed down a path of sin or is he simply expressing healthy curiousity? Please, help, as a survivor of abuse, I'm afraid I'm not handling this very well at all.
    [/SPOILER]

36. Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me Carlton Banks's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Children lack the mental faculties to deal with shit like that. Their brains are busy wiring up motor neurons and other shit. The shades of grey comes later. You can teach them to parrot back "words does not equal meaning" but they won't understand what it really means until later in life.

All words are parroted, no matter the age - that's my point.

Solution: educate your children by presenting them with a nonsensical barrage of multi-lingual words and images for two hours every day.

37. God damn these electric sex pants Marivauder's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    This thread is gold and is full of amazing lunatic families

38. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    [SPOILER='I want some counselors that believe in corporal punishment']
    Looking for counselors in CO Springs area who believe in corporal punishment

I am about to end a relationship w/ 2 counselors, one for me and one for my daughter, because they have collectively filled her head with garbage. I took her to start seeing a counselor because her behavior is getting more and more out of control *and* because she is pulling her hair out. A few weeks later, I also began seeing a counselor b/c I found myself often angry at her and wanted to work on what I thought were my own anger issues. Here are the conclusions I've come to:

1) These people are quacks. I've been told that at 10 years old, she's too young to be cooking, should have no chores ("her only chore should be to be a kid"), should have no artificial consequences but rather natural consequences ("so, don't make her bathe. if the kids at school make fun of her and she doesn't like those consequences, she'll start bathing."), and should not be expected to remember more than 3 things at a time.

2) These people have intelligence, but not wisdom. They cannot tell they are being manipulated by the 10 year old (who is naturally quite manipulative). They, instead, believe that I am over-bearing and am causing her anxiety which makes her pull her hair out and forget things. Never mind that I've seen this hair pulling in action, and there was *zero* anxiety involved, it was all about boredom. She pulls her hair out, and when she has a big enough pile of it, she plays with it until she has something better to do.

There are other issues, but they stem from these two main issues. I, however, "drank the kool aid," so to speak. I tried their methods and suggestions believing they were proffessionals and so must know what they are talking about. The result being that her behavior has quite literally spiralled out of control and her grades have bottomed out. She throws things these ladies have said back in my face as an excuse to get away with things. She went from misbehaving about 10% of them time, to misbehaving about 50% of the time. This led to my revelation that I don't really have anger issues, but I, like everyone else in this world, get angry when pushed far enough. I know this now b/c I went from being angry about 10% of the time, to being angry about 90% of the time. I also started going b/c her behavior issues were leading to a relationship in which my daughter and I were adversaries; this has, without a doubt, blown up 100 times. I love my daughter, but I quite often do *NOT* like her.

I'm tired of the back-talk. I tired of the behavior. I'm tired of the attitude. And frankly, I'm just tired. My husband is deployed right now, so I have no back-up; it's just me, and I have another child to think about, too. I feel like the constant behavior and attitude have been her attempt to break me down in the hopes she would get whatever she wanted. I suppose she was partly correct, because she has broken me down. However, my solution, as of tonight, is to treat her the age she is acting which is about, oh, 3. Because you do not reason with a 3 y.o., I will no longer reason with her. Because you do not argue w/ a 3 y.o., I will no longer argue with her. Because you do not explain to a 3 y.o., I will no longer explain to her. Because 3 y.o.s do not participate in soccer, volleyball, cheer, swim lessons, neither will she. When she misbehaves, there will be no warning (she already knows all our rules), there will just be a spanking, because I'm broken down. I cannot reason, argue, explain to her anymore.

I still feel, though, that we do both need counseling. She does because she really needs to understand that regardless of what her counselor has told her, she does need discipline, boundaries, responsibilities, etc.

I do because I need support while my husband is deployed; it's a tough situation for anyone, but add to it a difficult child and it's quite crushing.

This time, though, I want it to be one family therapist for both of us. More importantly, this person needs to *NOT* view spaking as abuse. What we have right now is a power struggle, and I refuse to allow a 10 y.o. to run my house. If anyone has any suggestions for family counselors who do not buy into the whole "free range" method of child rearing, I would be very greatful for suggestions.

And if you've made it this far, thank you for reading, and thank you for letting me vent.

[/SPOILER]

39. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
    R/P
    Power
    There are mouth foaming idiots in all walks of life, and us Christians are certainly no exception. The Ghandi quote is a good one...something my parents taught me when raising me to be a Christian. The greatest failure of the church has always been...the church. Jesus' lessons are simple and obvious, and we forget to live by them. I like Douglas Adams' reference to Jesus as someone who got nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change.

I hold a lot of beliefs as truths in my life that get me laughed at or scorned by non-Christians...but I also hold some beliefs that get me scorned by Christians. I feel whatever a Christian's belief is on the morality of homosexuality, homosexuals deserve nothing less than the love God expects Christians to show anyone. Or whatever one's stance on abortion (another popular hot-button topic) the same holds true of women who decide to have an abortion. I believe in absolutes, but I think the truest absolute is that God is judge, not me. I'm a moral conservative to be sure, but that's a personal choice based on my own convictions. I figure I've got more than enough to worry about just living my life in a way that would be pleasing to God without running around trying to tell others how to live their lives. I make my kids the exception so long as they're living in my house, of course, as I'm not only morally but legally responsible for them.

I think one of the worst things that has happened to Christianity in America is its entry into politics. That's a recipe for disaster.

40. Leader of the Scandinavy Securitas's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Yeah Garreck I want to make it clear I'm not making fun of ALL christians here, but a specific, extremist, politically active subset that seem determined to live in the past.

41. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
    R/P
    Power
    Yeah Garreck I want to make it clear I'm not making fun of ALL christians here, but a specific, extremist, politically active subset that seem determined to live in the past.
    Oh absolutely. While I would hate to think I have a "watered down" faith...I genuinely believe, as regards living in the past, that a lot of folks forget that there is historical and cultural context in the Bible that needs to be taken into account to understand what the message really is. Heck, a big message for Jesus to the Pharasees (the church leaders of their day) is that THEY were living in the past.

42. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Phey Onat's Avatar
    R/P
    Power

I'll make fun of all christians, even the cultural christians who don't have the balls to go against the grain and stop going through the motions. You don't have to point to the Westboro Baptist to find the crazy. People believe this junk out of avoidence of cognitive dissonance and their ridiculous ideas are definitionally worthy of ridicule.
    I've noticed that there's a pretty big disconnect between the general consensus of kugu and what's actually happening. It seems enough people have said it in this thread that people are taking it as fact.

43. Piper in the Woods
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilmar Keller View Post
    "I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." -Gandhi
    This.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Garreck View Post
    Oh absolutely. While I would hate to think I have a "watered down" faith...I genuinely believe, as regards living in the past, that a lot of folks forget that there is historical and cultural context in the Bible that needs to be taken into account to understand what the message really is. Heck, a big message for Jesus to the Pharasees (the church leaders of their day) is that THEY were living in the past.
    And that message is do what God says or he is going to throw you into a lake of fire for all eternity. /trollin (Props for speaking up and your, hopefully, non-literal interpretation of the Bible.)

45. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    The thing that bothers me most, I think, is when people ascribe their success to their god. Like, "I wouldn't have been able to work 70 hour weeks and save every penny I had for the last 10 years to get where I am if God wasn't doing it all for me."

To me, that's pretty much the pinnacle of having been brainwashed, when you can't even take credit for your own work. Sure, pride, even if not a sin, can be pretty evil, but seriously -- take pride in your work. Give yourself some credit.

46. Banned
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Is there any legal recourse they could take against somebody goatse'ing their forum?

As a Christian this shit drives me insane.

47. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    just proxy to it and go full retard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    And that message is do what God says or he is going to throw you into a lake of fire for all eternity. /trollin (Props for speaking up and your, hopefully, non-literal interpretation of the Bible.)
    tbh, the whole lake of fire thing is itself of kinda dubious biblical quality.

49. The Empire never ended Grogoth's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    The whole "Adam and Eve" thing is clearly fiction, meaning there was no original sin, meaning there is no blood price to pay, meaning that christianity as a whole has no logical basis at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

50. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Phey Onat View Post
    I'll make fun of all christians, even the cultural christians who don't have the balls to go against the grain and stop going through the motions. You don't have to point to the Westboro Baptist to find the crazy. People believe this junk out of avoidence of cognitive dissonance and their ridiculous ideas are definitionally worthy of ridicule.
    It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. If Christians were more known for taking care of the poor and needy than demagoguing from political platforms and blowing up abortion clinics I think some of the crazy might suddenly make a little sense. Jesus makes it clear from his teachings that caring for the weak and less fortunate is more important than being 'religious', even to the point of eternal consequences. Jesus also has strong words about not judging...and yet if you were to ask most folks to describe Christians today, "judgemental" would probably right up at the top of the list. The world is right to judge us because we don't live up to the standard and example Jesus set for us.

Now I guess if you're saying that Jesus' teachings were crazy then I suppose I don't really have anything to say to that. I'll grant you that the whole "I am the way and the truth and the life" thing implies a degree of exclusivisity in terms of entry into heaven that most folks in our enlightened, open, and accepting age are uncomfortable with...but it is what it is. Almost all of Jesus' teachings focus on how we should all do a lot more to take care of each-other and love each-other. Hard to call that crazy unless you're being ironic.