CEX.io
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dust 514 = dead once the next gen consoles are released

1. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    So do they plan on making a PC version when that happens?

this is what happens

R/P
    Power
    A thread as bad as the OP's name gimmick

3. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    I remember when Halo 2 came out on the Xbox just months before the Xbox 360 got released, and man that franchise died in no time.

4. Shoot blues, Tell Vile Rat. Vile rat's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    If it's a free downloadable game on the sony platform they'll just make it a free downloadable game on the new sony platform.

5. Super Moderator ihaveahelmet's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Vile rat View Post
    If it's a free downloadable game on the sony platform they'll just make it a free downloadable game on the new sony platform.
    Better hope it is, as far as I know the "ps4" doesn't support ps1-3 games.

Richter_Belmont: under Article 14, section 88, paragraph 420 of the B0Tl0rd Accord, it says "you're gay LOL pwned"

6. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Zagdul's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    They're using the unreal engine.

One of the most widely used engines in FPS existence. I doubt that the porting to PS4 will be too challenging.

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    It smells like some kind of exclusivity deal.

Once the benefit of the game being PS3 wears off they'll suddenly drop it on steam and let it sit there forever - there's a benefit to spreading the conspiracy theory that you will only play it on console - the initial adoption rush of EVE players keen to check it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? Della Monk's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    And Sony will probably help them.
    Imagine releasing a console with a free to play shooter as a launch title
    K(awaii)ugu(u)tsumen

9. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Della Monk View Post
    And Sony will probably help them.
    Imagine releasing a console with a free to play shooter as a launch title
    Yeah, except that console costs ~$600 and has a handful of shitty titles on opening that cost $70 apiece.

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilmar Keller View Post
    I remember when Halo 2 came out on the Xbox just months before the Xbox 360 got released, and man that franchise died in no time.
    Halo 2 kept XBox alive (through XBL multiplayer) literally until Halo 3 came out. But yes, after Halo 3 (beginning with ODST), that shit went downhill.

11. Whoremonger
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveahelmet View Post
    Better hope it is, as far as I know the "ps4" doesn't support ps1-3 games.
    Where have Sony said that?

12. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders View Post
    Halo 2 kept XBox alive (through XBL multiplayer) literally until Halo 3 came out. But yes, after Halo 3 (beginning with ODST), that shit went downhill.
    Sorry that I didn't put /sarcasm tags at the end of that post.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Where have Sony said that?
    Supposedly they are moving away from the Cell processor and tword x86. That would make backward compatibility difficult

R/P
    Power
    Previous Playstations have included essentially the full silicon of the previous generation onboard, for the initial release. When you play PS2 games on an old 20/40/60 gig PS3 it's on a miniaturized PS2 chip. Later hardware revs took this out and did software emulation (which wasn't as capable) - which led to some bitching at Sony when people sent their 60g PS3s in for repairs and got 80g mainboards back with the back-compatibilty removed. The PS2 did something similar with PSX compatibility.

The issue with the PS4 is that PS3 hardware is not going to be capable of being emulated with the processing power currently predicted. Which may or may not matter, if Sony just slaps an Emotion Engine in each 1st-gen machine.

15. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    No one is going to play dust 514; console gamers want graphics & after that they want Japanese jail bait; which is the majority of the PlayStation fanbase besides madden fans who smoke way too much pot to functional normally in society.

Anyone remember M.A.G?

R/P
    Power
    I brought home a PS3 from work just to try DUST. but after trying it after fanfest i was like "meh... fuck that shit"... (for starters it looks appaling)

Planetside 2 looks more like i pictured Dust to be.

- No caps to maximum players
    - open landscapes.

17. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Yang Wenli's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Dust is just another bizarre over-reach by CCP. They failed to deliver their pie-in-the-sky vision in a playable form.

All they should have done is give us a "land on planet" button that closes the spaceship client and opens Dust. That way we'd be grateful, even for a crappy FPS, since it would be a free mini-game within Eve.

18. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Aurora148's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I don't want it on PC, it would get hacked to hell and back and the lack of server admins + CCPs horrible response time would just be a recipe for disaster on a game where the whole point is that actions during games have eve consequences.

19. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Malcanis's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Hey who remembers how when the PS3 was launched, the PS2 disappeared off the face of the earth and in no way continued to outsell the PS3 for like 2 years?

20. This is harsh. Evaluate me Dumuzid's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I'm totally not playing Nocturne on my PS2 right now.

Odds are it'll be ported to PS4, and then when the exclusivity dies it'll get tossed on PC somehow, I don't see Dust514 dying off after all the hype and effort tossed in.
    [CENTER][I]Contradiction! [/I]
    [/CENTER]

21. What Good Is a Glass Dagger? Mizuchi's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    what hype?

R/P
    Power
    dust wont die because it's last gen it'll die because it'll be a usual pile of crap released on an audience who expect polish and fun from day 1.

23. Whoremonger
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by unbanlordfuxaton View Post
    No one is going to play dust 514; console gamers want graphics & after that they want Japanese jail bait; which is the majority of the PlayStation fanbase besides madden fans who smoke way too much pot to functional normally in society.

Anyone remember M.A.G?

I loved playing MAG, I like any shooter where people care more about winning than their KDR. That said MAG only has a few 1000 players at the moment 18 months after launch. Dust will go the same why, if it an't COD or BF it won't get numbers.

24. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Wki's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Consoles are a dying breed anyway. Once technologies such as OnLive get better/gain acceptance there will be no need for dedicated gaming consoles. A game will be released and it wont matter what you play it on.

25. This is harsh. Evaluate me Dumuzid's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
    what hype?
    That whole Fanfest thing that just happened? I know Iceland isn't a real place but it still counts.

I've got people I know who don't give a shit about EVE Online looking interested in Dust514, there's a fair amount of hype going around.
    [CENTER][I]Contradiction! [/I]
    [/CENTER]

R/P
    Power
    Not even going to read the OP, pretty sure it's shit.

Content: Who gives a fuck, if ps4 is x86 based then the port to/from PC is even easier/more likely.

27. Former Former Community Manager and Former Chief Senior Analyst Vinata's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Wki View Post
    Consoles are a dying breed anyway. Once technologies such as OnLive get better/gain acceptance there will be no need for dedicated gaming consoles. A game will be released and it wont matter what you play it on.
    Console versions of games outsell the PC versions,s o you're pretty much wrong here.
    ?"eve's a bad mmo, really bad, it's only saving grace is the people playing it, which i guess doesn't say great things about the people playing other MMOs"

28. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? Della Monk's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumuzid View Post
    That whole Fanfest thing that just happened? I know Iceland isn't a real place but it still counts.

I've got people I know who don't give a shit about EVE Online looking interested in Dust514, there's a fair amount of hype going around.
    Not to mention how they talked about blitzing advertisement for it. They in deep with this fucker.
    K(awaii)ugu(u)tsumen

29. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Della Monk View Post
    Not to mention how they talked about blitzing advertisement for it. They in deep with this fucker.
    CCP should start stealing customers from M.A.G; m.a.g being the better game with support of up to 256 players.

R/P
    Power
    dude just because a game can allow more players doesn't necessarily make it better. BF3 on 360 is fun as hell.

R/P
    Power
    bf3...with a controller....

R/P
    Power
    DUST needs some compelling reason for COD/BF3/Halo/whatever players to switch to it instead. Lots of players on the map could be that reason, but other FPS have tried it and flopped, and Planetside 2 is going to blow the doors off that metric regardless. DUST doesn't look especially competitive on graphics. The futuretech doesn't look unusually fancy or impressive. I'm not convinced the 'persistent world' is superior to what Global Agenda tried. The classes are nothing special. So what's left? The ability to fuck with PC MMO gamers? Does anyone think that's really a killer hook?

This game has some serious uphill battles to fight (especially if CCP clogs it up with microtransaction nonsense) that have nothing to do with being Playstation-based.

33. What Good Is a Glass Dagger? Adri's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    seven years' worth of skills, nearly infinite fitting mechanic will put off casual players
    This post happily existed in all possible states before you observed it. Now it has collapsed into a single state.

I hope you're satisfied, fuckwad

34. Tū-whakaheke-tangata xutech's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    the only people who are going to "get" the weirdness of DUST or forgive the expected flaws and faults are going to be preexisting EVE players. That's a huge problem to start with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

35. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Wki's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinata View Post
    Console versions of games outsell the PC versions,s o you're pretty much wrong here.
    You've missed the point.

People love playing games on there tvs with controllers, which you have stated. I'm saying the need for a dedicated gaming system aka a system that has the raw power to produce the graphics and such is soon to be over. Do you even know about onlive? Have you seen what they can do? Why would you pay 600 dollars for a system when you can do the same thing on onlive without the cost of the console? People will always play games with controllers and on their tv's. How they do it will change.

36. Former Former Community Manager and Former Chief Senior Analyst Vinata's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    You've missed the point.

People love playing games on there tvs with controllers, which you have stated. I'm saying the need for a dedicated gaming system aka a system that has the raw power to produce the graphics and such is soon to be over. Do you even know about onlive? Have you seen what they can do? Why would you pay 600 dollars for a system when you can do the same thing on onlive without the cost of the console? People will always play games with controllers and on their tv's. How they do it will change.
    Gaming Examiner judged that the graphics were like "playing a PS3 on a 480p standard def TV", that they thought that they experienced much lower framerates than expected, and that the controller was not working reliably.

After the launch in United Kingdom, Computer and Video Games remarked that, after one month of use, the service was "working" and was adequate for trying or renting a game, but that it was not a substitute for owning a game on another platform due to the limitations imposed by internet connections (lag, freezing and smeary visuals, as well as high data usage for those on capped connections)
    That sounds amazing.
    ?"eve's a bad mmo, really bad, it's only saving grace is the people playing it, which i guess doesn't say great things about the people playing other MMOs"

37. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    capped connections should be illegal

38. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Wki's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    That sounds amazing.
    Because the internet connections and speeds are going to remain stagnant. I mean technology doesn't advance anymore.

I don't know anything about the UK's internet, but in the States it works just fine with much better resolution than that.

R/P
    Power
    Because everyone wants to fuck around with a shitty Microsoft operating system that constantly wants to download some new thing, or "I'm sorry you were trying to use this computer, but I thought I'd stop that and inform you of this great new update for adobe reader, oh you died, my bad"

Consoles will always be around as you know..they work

Edit: I didn't read up on your onlive experience, but I have a feeling that solid state hardware will be a little more reliable

40. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Wki's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
    Because everyone wants to fuck around with a shitty Microsoft operating system that constantly wants to download some new thing, or "I'm sorry you were trying to use this computer, but I thought I'd stop that and inform you of this great new update for adobe reader, oh you died, my bad"

Consoles will always be around as you know..they work

Edit: I didn't read up on your onlive experience, but I have a feeling that solid state hardware will be a little more reliable
    As of now, the hardware consoles do work better, but the technology is there. Right now onlive gives you a 'console'. Basically it just a box to connect to the internet and something to plug your controllers into.

41. Whoremonger someguyfromoverthere's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    That sounds amazing.
    i bought deusex:hr on it when they launched in the uk and were running any game £1 as a starter deal, it was "playable" but the graphics were dire imo, and the lag just made it uncomfortable to play.

i then went to steam and bought the game there and played happily ever after

R/P
    Power
    As of now, the hardware consoles do work better, but the technology is there. Right now onlive gives you a 'console'. Basically it just a box to connect to the internet and something to plug your controllers into.
    I like the way you are saying that consoles are dying but the future is a "console"

We both agree that if you want to play games for fun and not get a headache over some OS or config problems, a console (whether virtual or physical) is still the toy to have

43. Former Former Community Manager and Former Chief Senior Analyst Vinata's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Because the internet connections and speeds are going to remain stagnant. I mean technology doesn't advance anymore.

I don't know anything about the UK's internet, but in the States it works just fine with much better resolution than that.
    It's going to advance, but it isn't going to advance as fast as possible for consoles to be dead "soon". And even if everyone magically upgraded to fiber optics tomorrow, there would still be bandwidth caps and throttles which would cost more money in the long run than a console. This would be especially true in a place like Australia where you pay based upon how much data you download.

44. Super Moderator Lorren Canada's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    What the fuck is this
    Your posting has been Adjusted

45. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    It's going to advance, but it isn't going to advance as fast as possible for consoles to be dead "soon". And even if everyone magically upgraded to fiber optics tomorrow, there would still be bandwidth caps and throttles which would cost more money in the long run than a console. This would be especially true in a place like Australia where you pay based upon how much data you download.
    It's more likely than you think. If the 'box' is server side while the 'client' just collects image and sends back vectors and variables, a lot can be done with common household DSL. Take Tribes as an example, probably the only first-person shooter that I can remember working well on dial-up. Counter-Strike was a bitch. The only difference is that Tribes used vectors instead of co-ordinates for generating player models, so enemies didn't seem to suddenly freeze and then appear somewhere else. Both hardware and software improve with time, remember.

R/P
    Power
    Onlive is like a battery-powered buggy whip. Console gaming isn't going to be threatened by remote-client console gaming, it's going to be killed by gaming on your ipad/phone thing, with TV-based gaming reserved for Kinect-style multiplayer dancing games.

47. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Quesa's Avatar
    Taking wagers on Soho's return to custody.
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    The line between consoles and PC's is quickly dissolving. Consoles are increasing in price with essentially perform a single function (stick in a game and it plays) while PC's are multifunction machines with dropping prices. Even the mid-lower end PC's are able to play any game out there (sure, there are some graphical limitations). As we push more towards smart houses - houses with built in media and electronic/appliance controlling) we'll see greater integration of PC's into every day things around the house.

People can hack and cheat with consoles too, it's just not as easy as doing it with a PC because you are given control of everything. It's just something that will always be there and has to be dealt with.

The end result is consoles slowly but surely dieing off because that niche functionality is becoming less of a niche. We already see higher quality graphics out of PC games. The first step of this process will be, in my opinion, the increasing release of cross-platform-playable games; ie. BF3 PC players being on the same servers as XBox players. If you look at everything that a console could add, that addition would bring it closer to a PC's functionality as well as increasing the price of the console, also bringing it closer to PC's.

Edit: As far as the main topic: I believe it's a mistake for CCP to release DUST solely on a console because Eve Online (the game it's interacting with) is a PC game and that is where the majority of the loyal players will come from. FPS games have inherently short lives and not allowing your most loyal fans play it on the same platform as your primary game may bit them in the ass. My fear is that DUST will die off and then any proposed EO <-> DUST interaction will cease thus ruining that part of the interaction on the Eve Online side.

48. Former Former Community Manager and Former Chief Senior Analyst Vinata's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    It's more likely than you think. If the 'box' is server side while the 'client' just collects image and sends back vectors and variables, a lot can be done with common household DSL. Take Tribes as an example, probably the only first-person shooter that I can remember working well on dial-up. Counter-Strike was a bitch. The only difference is that Tribes used vectors instead of co-ordinates for generating player models, so enemies didn't seem to suddenly freeze and then appear somewhere else. Both hardware and software improve with time, remember.
    I'm not denying that the technology won't someday be there, I'm denying it will be here soon.

Also bandwidth caps are a bitch for any company that uploads large amounts of video and audio.

49. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Also bandwidth caps are a bitch for any company that uploads large amounts of video and audio.
    Porn sites seem to deal with it, and I don't pay for any of those.

50. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Quesa's Avatar
    Taking wagers on Soho's return to custody.
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Porn sites seem to deal with it, and I don't pay for any of those.
    I think it's more of an issue with services like Hulu and Netflix. Comcast has been limiting users to 250gb and I have yet to find a deal which is a respectable price and a higher quota.