CEX.io

Dust will be free to play :)

1. Whoremonger Dengen Krastinov's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    The game would flop if they charged for it. They probably figure that the subs they can pick up for EvE through it is worth charging nothing.

It's pretty funny how all of that hype over the last few years has distilled down to a free-to-play piece of crap. CCP really screwed the goose.

R/P
    Power

3. Truth. As terrible as death. But harder to find Brooks Puuntai's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    So they dropped the initial charge eh? Kind of makes you wonder if there's any concern about how well they think it will do.
    [B]Join the hunt for Ransomlist! Help us find the Number One Kugu poster!
    [URL="http://Join the hunt for Ransomlist! Help us find the Number One Kugu poster! http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?11270-RansomList-has-gone-AWOL"]http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?11270-RansomList-has-gone-AWOL[/URL][/B]

4. Whoremonger
    R/P
    Power
    I'm quite looking forward to this. If it flops it flops but I'm going to give it a go.

5. The Gripping Hand somedude76's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    It had better be free if they want anybody to play it.

I still think this DUST concept is complete shit.

R/P
    Power
    won't be long till they port the "ps3 exclusive title" to pc when they see < 3k people playing

7. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    "We wanted to make it unambiguously that this is a free-to-play game," CCP's Brandon Laurino told Eurogamer. "We also wanted to make sure people know that we don't understand adverbs."

Probably just a typo, but whatever.

I am TOTALLY gonna shell out for a PS3 to play a freemium game.

Interkosmos, Invictus Australis - Unsubbed
    R/P
    Power
    I don't understand how they are going to get people to play a console shooter for more than a few months until the next COD/BF/Whatever comes out on a console that is entering its later years with replacements already under development.

9. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Tyrrax Thorrk's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    i've never understood why they didn't just make it for PC, seems like a completely retarded decision to me
    [URL]http://eve.klaki.net/heist/[/URL]

10. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    They want to get in on the PS3 market, if they put it out on PC, people will play it on PC and not PS3 (or so they believe). That and the only people playing dust would be current eve players.

11. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex Tyrrax Thorrk's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    so what you're saying is ccp is retarded
    [URL]http://eve.klaki.net/heist/[/URL]

R/P
    Power

13. King Dong
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrrax Thorrk View Post
    so what you're saying is ccp is retarded
    It actually makes sense. A freemium PC shooter isn't anything special (I'm pretty sure they make them as a part of some ponzi scheme in Korea), but as far as I know this will be the first freemium shooter on consoles. The playerbase will come from a core of people who like the idea of a free game and don't want to spend money on MW3 or w/e. It's a proven business model being taken to a new market.

14. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex ente's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    And it will literally have the worst community ever, like pretty much every other f2p game. See league of legends for example.

15. King Dong
    R/P
    Power
    Aside from LoL suffering community-wise because of predecessor DotA (which was/is home to truly repellent community that I WISH I could call sub-human), I can't help but realize the irony of someone harping on how awful the DUST community will be one an EVE ONLINE forum.

16. I'm Only in It for the Money Grim's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Has CCP been able to explain how this game will impact eve in a meaningful way? And I mean say what the game actually does, not show concept art, videos that dont reflect the game, or "interesting ideas."
    If you kill enough of them they stop fighting - Gen. Curtis Lemay
    Fear the KKM

17. Troll Jegeren Barry Zuckerkorn's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Has CCP been able to explain how this game will impact eve in a meaningful way? And I mean say what the game actually does..."
    Have you not read the mission statement?
    "Putting clients first by putting employees first, immediately after prioritizing fiscal responsibilities and leveraging profitability towards exceeding by empowering our employees to put clients (and themselves) first, in a divers and respectful environment of only those that come first, first." - CCP
    In all seriousness I cannot see this game succeeding. The shelf life of counsel games is too short, competing with COD/BF3, nickle and dimming people for better guns and features, etc. Also I don't think CCP could get this game to real impact EVE in a meaningful way without fucking up something in EVE.

18. Whoremonger
    R/P
    Power
    Does anyone know if they had any hands on sessions at fanfest? Be interested in reading any hands on reviews. I'm quite looking forward to it, I wonder if they'll make the rewards so chunky that it'll become an easy way to make isk?

Interkosmos, Invictus Australis - Unsubbed
    R/P
    Power
    After watching some of the Fanfest gameplay I have changed my mind about Dust and will definitely give it a try when it releases. I do still think they will struggle with user retention though.

20. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Raketefrau's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I would love to try it, but will not be purchasing a PS3 to do so.

21. "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane"
    R/P
    Power
    I dunno, I kinda like the look of it. I can probably get a second hand PS3 for around €100, which isn't bad and I think because the game's free it's worth a try at least.

22. Monalisa Overdrive Phineas Freak's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by ente View Post
    And it will literally have the worst community ever, like pretty much every other f2p game. See league of legends for example.
    Nothing can beat LoL when it comes to having a terrible playerbase. I blame the french - and the fact that you actually have the time to type while playing/waiting for a respawn.
    dust looks interesting and the gameplay is - judging form the fanfest tourney - not as hectic as mw3 and other shooters, which may attract different (older) players.
    i was briefly considering buying a ps3 - but then i recognzed that a) i still hate consoles b) ps4 was announced for 2013 and i am not sure if dust will be portable from the start. bad timing.

23. The Ethics of Madness Iratus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Freak View Post
    Nothing can beat LoL when it comes to having a terrible playerbase. I blame the french - and the fact that you actually have the time to type while playing/waiting for a respawn.
    dust looks interesting and the gameplay is - judging form the fanfest tourney - not as hectic as mw3 and other shooters, which may attract different (older) players.
    i was briefly considering buying a ps3 - but then i recognzed that a) i still hate consoles b) ps4 was announced for 2013 and i am not sure if dust will be portable from the start. bad timing.
    I seriously doubt that the exclusivity deal CCP signed with SONY doesn't include a headsup or some kind of workaround regarding the launch of PS4. Besides, since DUST runs in Unreal, I'd bet the porting will take a couple months, worst-case-scenario.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hChYV.png[/IMG]

"Every rifter counts friend" - VR

24. How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later El Space Mariachi's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    a m8 of mine has a ps3 i will borrow it to play DUST and see how it is

but I'm not buying one just for it

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Dengen Krastinov View Post
    The game would flop if they charged for it. They probably figure that the subs they can pick up for EvE through it is worth charging nothing.

It's pretty funny how all of that hype over the last few years has distilled down to a free-to-play piece of crap. CCP really screwed the goose.
    Actually, the industry is now in a position where free to play schemes generate bigger streams of revenue than the old models, so this is really more like CCP doing what everyone else is doing and not something out of the ordinary.