CEX.io
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Solo PvP... What Do?

1. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I've always been interested in solo PvP, but I only have one account so I find it exceptionally hard to find stuff and kill it. I can fly a drake, Hurricane and a Myrm but will they be able to tank low sec gate guns as well as another BC?
    Myrmi kinda, drake and cane no unless u are ganking something much weaker (frig, cruser). You have two options: leeroying araund in a nano bc or flying a frig or cruiser. My advice is just stick to frigs and crusers (nano rupie), because unscouted bc solo is a test of how many ships u can loose, by jumping into blobs or being baited, before you start training booster alt.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Box View Post
    Myrmi kinda, drake and cane no unless u are ganking something much weaker (frig, cruser). You have two options: leeroying araund in a nano bc or flying a frig or cruiser. My advice is just stick to frigs and crusers (nano rupie), because unscouted bc solo is a test of how many ships u can loose, by jumping into blobs or being baited, before you start training booster alt.
    Booster alts are nice for somethings, other times you really don't need them, and yea that includes unscouted solo (true solo) bc's.

I mean sometimes its ok to just nut up and go roaming in a battlecruiser destined to die. Some of us are even up to doing it in BS now just because why the fuck not, its pennies you lose when you do it.

R/P
    Power
    i stopped doing that shit (unscouted BC) like 6 months ago because if you do it enough you get the reputation for being solo and dudes start to form camps for you. which gets annoying after awhile.
    Mfume Apocal - Origin. - Black Legion.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I've always been interested in solo PvP, but I only have one account so I find it exceptionally hard to find stuff and kill it. I can fly a drake, Hurricane and a Myrm but will they be able to tank low sec gate guns as well as another BC?
    all of those can really, drake obv has the ehp to outlast stuff, cane has the dps to not reeeeeally worry about the tank, and myrm can activetank well (for lowsec). myrms also more than happy running shield buffer

5. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfume View Post
    i stopped doing that shit (unscouted BC) like 6 months ago because if you do it enough you get the reputation for being solo and dudes start to form camps for you. which gets annoying after awhile.
    I stopped doing it because I kept getting fucking owned.

Well I'd always at least have >50% efficiency except for that time I got falconized right out of the gate.

6. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Sabre camping can be dull but grabbing unscouted haulers and untanked cloakies is pretty baller.

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    Micromanagement is of paramount importance. I'm a little bored by the limited engagement options of frigs, so I decided I'd take out a Rupture. I went poking around in a Forceful Entry system, as they'll usually lose a ship or two to me. I had been chilling off their undock for like 10 minutes, and nothing bit. They then undocked a Sleipnir, so I was like, "Fuck that. I'm going somewhere else." The system I had been poking around in is a dead-end system, and I retardedly forgot that they'd probably be camping the other side.

I jump through the gate, and they have some ships waiting for me. I start my align towards the sun, and then I activate my MWD. The frigates can't get near me for a scram without being neuted out, so I focus fire on the Retribution. The nemesis fires his torpedo, and I'm suddenly in armor. WTF? Well, it appears that somewhere between aligning to the sun and turning on my MWD, I stopped my ship. So I was chilling, MWD on, and got raped by the Torpedo. I was promptly taken through structure and killed.

What would I have done differently? For one, I would've launched my drones. I could've taken out the Nemesis quite easily with those and a cycle or two of my guns and then moved onto the Retribution. Had I then killed the Retribution, I could've switched to barrage and maybe harrassed the cynabal enough to make sure that he didn't have a point on me and then warped off. So, lesson learned. Manage your micro.

After losing my Rupture without killing anything, I angrily fitted up a Rifter and went to leroy into something. I searched for a long time without success, until I jumped through a gate and saw an Enyo camping a bubble. It was very unlikely that I would be able to kill him, especially without a Gyro to up my deeps, but I thought I might be able to get him scared by hitting him with Barrage (which is outside of even Null range). So, ready to die, I MWD'ed toward him and started to orbit at 10km. I opened up with my guns, and I saw his shields go down not at all. Again, WTF? Well, it appears that I had locked up the bubble he had been camping. He was safely in scram range, shutting off my MWD and eating into me with CNAM.

So I lost that ship, too. Make sure you lock up the right things!

8. The Theory and Practice of Teleportation Wildside's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    destroyers. currently using a cataclyst with 6 neutrons/2ions+gankfit , warp to frig plex , sit at 0 and wait for a fool to warp in, fit scram and ab and kill all those pesty t2 frigs

trasher works fine too(if not bether)
    ------------------------------------
    "God created the world in seven days, in a smaller, but no less impressive gesture, I destroyed HTA in 5"
    Grath

Mr Blue / Twisted girl /Stripperella - SNIGG - PL

9. The Idiot Bastard Son Kanloch's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I'm quite the noob, but I like flying bombers in a solo or duo setting.

Of course this does limit you to what you can engage successfully, but gives you the added bonus of being able to pick and choose your targets accordingly and the speed (if you're lucky) to burn away from most things.

Although all my recent bomber experience was sitting on a gate ganking haulers stupid enough to not watch intel and jump in, I do however thank TEST for giving me the chance to shit on somebody elses' day as while it is not exactly elite pvp it is quite amusing to watch the panic that it causes.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanloch View Post
    I'm quite the noob, but I like flying bombers in a solo or duo setting.

Of course this does limit you to what you can engage successfully, but gives you the added bonus of being able to pick and choose your targets accordingly and the speed (if you're lucky) to burn away from most things.

Although all my recent bomber experience was sitting on a gate ganking haulers stupid enough to not watch intel and jump in, I do however thank TEST for giving me the chance to shit on somebody elses' day as while it is not exactly elite pvp it is quite amusing to watch the panic that it causes.
    bombers used to be awesome solo ganking ratters but now every loser has a tengu and that could easily kill you.

valadaya(sp) some duder in pl made a nice guide on solo pvp with a bomber vs bs and it worked fine when I tried it(if I found a bs).

bombers also suck because whenever I bring one all I find are frigs I could easily kill in an af/dessy.

11. SHADOO OUTSIDE NOW progodlegend's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Grath View Post
    I mean sometimes its ok to just nut up and go roaming in a battlecruiser destined to die. Some of us are even up to doing it in BS now just because why the fuck not, its pennies you lose when you do it.
    Honestly, I find my most productive solo roaming is when I take out just a generic 425 nano cane with 2 neuts and either warrior II's or ECM drones depending on the weather that day. I still get plenty of kills, am still able to escape shitty situations effectively, and I can still gate crash small enough fleets or shitty enough tacklers. But unlike some of the other stuff I might try solo roaming with, when I die in a solo cane I will almost always kill enough stuff to win the :iskwar:.

If you are really motivated to try solo roaming in today's 0.0 in something not nullifier fit or frigate sized, then I find it hard to justify using something other than just a chill nano cane, unless I'm in a :swagger: mood and want to try something fancy out.

R/P
    Power
    cane is probably the best generic solo pvp ship(besides rifter) because it is amazing at killing support when they burn at you. which is a big morale boost even if you kill 2 frigs and die.

R/P
    Power
    Canes all the way. Killing shitty ceptors is always fun and they are cheap enough for me to not worry too much about exploding.

I guess its different for lowsec though

14. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex ente's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I tried killing shit in lowsec in the last few days, but seriously, i cant find SHIT to gank. Most of the time, the system is empty and I just throw out the core scanner probes myself and do whatever plex pops up.

R/P
    Power
    Is was pretty lucky with an Armor tanked Harbinger when i tried that in lowsec. People would always engage me under Gateguns thinking i was a simple kill
    But yeah finding ganks is harder since why would anyone Rat there

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by ente View Post
    I tried killing shit in lowsec in the last few days, but seriously, i cant find SHIT to gank. Most of the time, the system is empty and I just throw out the core scanner probes myself and do whatever plex pops up.
    get out of lowsec

17. Adjustment Team
    R/P
    Power
    Arty hurricane is quite good in 0.0. It's fantastic for killing kitey shit, if you get tackled pop standard drop and load quake.
    Generally just burn away from stuff in a straight line, when their tank starts to break overheat MWD and try to keep up while they run.
    I've managed to kill a cynabal, huginn, and a pair of vagas in this.

720s, small neuts
    MWD, point, invuln, LSE
    DC,gyrox3, TE x2
    dishonor drones

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by spamB0t View Post
    Arty hurricane is quite good in 0.0. It's fantastic for killing kitey shit, if you get tackled pop standard drop and load quake.
    Generally just burn away from stuff in a straight line, when their tank starts to break overheat MWD and try to keep up while they run.
    I've managed to kill a cynabal, huginn, and a pair of vagas in this.

720s, small neuts
    MWD, point, invuln, LSE
    DC,gyrox3, TE x2
    dishonor drones
    Is that really better then just using a nano cane?

Are you depending on Imps to make it fit or do you use a ACR-Rig?

19. Adjustment Team
    R/P
    Power
    ACR to make it fit. It'll beat a standard nano cane 1vs1 hands down, you get much better damage projection at range, and can fire EMP while your opponent is limited to barrage. The key really is convincing the other dude(s) that you're trying to run away while whittling away their buffer. Give it a whirl, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well it does vs HACs, Recons, etc.

20. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. jimmychrist's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I have a mate who swears by using a drake with webs for soloing, he's mostly in it to kill as many tacklers as possible before warping out but it's amazing how many kills he's got in that thing. It's like waving a red cloth, EVERYONE goes after a drake.

R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    I have a mate who swears by using a drake with webs for soloing, he's mostly in it to kill as many tacklers as possible before warping out but it's amazing how many kills he's got in that thing. It's like waving a red cloth, EVERYONE goes after a drake.
    I would imagine a Ferox is even better. But then its harder to actually kill stuff in a Ferox then with a Drake ...

22. "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
    R/P
    Power
    [Drake, PODLA]
    Damage Control II
    Ballistic Control System II
    Ballistic Control System II
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
    Large Shield Extender II
    Experimental 10MN MicroWarpdrive I
    Warp Disruptor II
    Stasis Webifier II
    Stasis Webifier II

Heavy Missile Launcher II,Caldari Navy Trauma Heavy Missile
    Salvager I

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
    Medium Core Defence Field Extender I
    Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Its like a drug, try it once and one month later your losses page is nothing but drakes.
    It rly comes together with speed implants and loki links thou.

R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    I want to meet these people. Whenever I'm solo-ing in anything, I stay away from Drakes due to their huge tanks. Killing them in frigates is nigh on impossible, and fights with 'Canes are really iffy.

24. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Most (relatively safe) solo pvp revolves around baiting tackle into coming after you, then killing it and warping off. Dualweb drake is pretty amazing for that, it eats tackle and HACs alive.

That said people tend to avoid drakes like the plague so you gotta take some pretty heavy risks to convince people to engage you.

Thrashers and catalysts are also good for soloing in, people hugely underestimate them even with the buff and they can kill most frigate hulls 1v1. They are pretty slow, however. This catalyst does over 300 dps with null and can hit out to the edge of scram range:

[spoiler=cata fit][Catalyst, 1rep]Small Armor Repairer II
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Damage Control II

Limited 1MN MicroWarpdrive I
    J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I

Light Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
    Small Ancillary Current Router I
    Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Hobgoblin II x1
    [/spoiler]

Also I have Small Blaster Spec V because I am a straight balla

I think the best ships to solo in are frigates and destroyers because they can more easily dictate the engagement. I'd think the taranis would be one of the best solo ships in the game except for the fact you have to dock up every fucking time you take damage.

The thing that rustles my jimmies most about solo PVP is that you're basically limited to ships that are self-sufficient (IE buffer shield ships or ships with a local rep) which severely limits the variety of ships that are practical for taking deep into nullsec.

25. Adjustment Team
    R/P
    Power
    I moved away from soloing in frigs/dessies because your list of engagable targets is pretty limited. IIRC you can fit a remote armor rep to a 3-link loki. Tbh between the drake and hurricane there's really no reason to fly anything else if you have limited funds.

26. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex ente's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by spamB0t View Post
    IRC you can fit a remote armor rep to a 3-link loki.
    [Loki, support boost and rep]

Loki Defensive - Warfare Processor
    Loki Offensive - Covert Reconfiguration
    Loki Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier
    Loki Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
    Loki Engineering - Capacitor Regeneration Matrix

Skirmish Warfare Link - Interdiction Maneuvers II
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Rapid Deployment II
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Evasive Maneuvers II
    Medium 'Solace' Remote Bulwark Reconstruction
    Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
    Small Remote Hull Repair System I

Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II

Dread Guristas Co-Processor

Medium Low Friction Nozzle Joints I
    Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
    Medium Low Friction Nozzle Joints I

thats some ugly shit.

27. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Yeah, it's also a lot to haul out if you just wanna go fuck shit up in an armorcane

28. Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex ente's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    While we're on lokis, could someone explain in what context the 'amplification node' sub would make sense? Maybe on some weird 100mn AB setups?

29. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    It really never makes sense, you're always better off with the resist ones.

There are a lot of pretty useless subsystems actually.

30. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Viribus View Post
    It really never makes sense, you're always better off with the resist ones.

There are a lot of pretty useless subsystems actually.
    Just like with any T3 really. Blaster Tengus and neuting Legions are fairly useless configurations. Interesting, but severely gimped.

31. We're Only in It for the Money pinoyzzz's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    If you want solo PvP in 'friendly territory', a HAM Drake is by far the best ship. For roaming around solo in 0.0, which is pretty retarded and has been since the nanonerf, a hurricane, vagabond or cynabal is probably best - but watch out for those HAM drakes. For empire/lowsec a neutron megathron is probably the best option.

32. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    Close range anything is a pretty bad idea for safely soloing, a HAM drake basically can't disengage from anything

33. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Close range anything is a pretty bad idea for safely soloing, a HAM drake basically can't disengage from anything
    Pretty much my thought exactly. I tried a HAM drake once, it's too slow to keep in DPS range and too slow to move out of a point.

Navy Slicers with beams are cool if you know what you're doing, not a lot of things you can kill but at least you can get out if you need to and your optimal is well outside of scram.

34. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I fly a navy slicer with pulses and scorch. I've killed enough shit to make a bad pvp video out of it and only lost two of them.

They're a pain in the dick to fly because the difference between getting scrammed and not doing any dps is about 9km, a distance which most frigates can cover half of before your overview updates. Kiting with such fast stuff is really hard.

35. The church of Batman the redeemer needs you Elise Randolph's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    You can break things down into two options for solo PvP - a cheap frig/BC that goes around and brawls whatever yo, or a gimmick fit that can only do one thing but can do it quite well.

The nano HML Drake is quite forgiving and fairly easily to pilot decently and good for nullsec derping. For low-sec I'm a fan of active tanked Cyclone and Myrm - definitely get the "I'm a badass" vibe with them. Frigs are frigs - a great rush to fly them but they are flimsy as shit. When they die you have to go back and get a new one. I think the Arty Wolf is the FOTM thing - find some small gang, kite an inty, and raperaperape.

Gimmick ships are a whole new level of fun. You can't take on as much with them, but when you do take things on the results are always hilarious. For a few weeks I was flying a battle Helios, owning the dicks off of every nerd frigate that dared to attack my shit. It basically involved warping around a low-sec or null-sec hub looking for ~elite frigate PvPers~ and making them think I'm afk and forgot to cloak.
    True, I have raped history, but it has produced some beautiful offspring

36. Electric Ant
    R/P
    Power
    Lol Kugu talking about solo PVP holy shit some of your "THIS IS HOW IT IS" statements are hilarious

Elise is basically right aside from the meta-game that is "Hmm this ship is FOTM and has had success so I have an excuse to not fight it." :Queue local spam:

This idea is boiled down to what I call Bait Factor; that is staying ahead of the FOTM curve by choosing ships/fits that aren't super obvious and well-known in order to increase your opponents chances of engaging as well as keep your chances of winning the fight high enough (with some piloting variance of course). It's a tough balance and there is certainly no correct ratio.

37. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Thanks for your obscure inconclusive analysis, it's super-helpful.

38. Electric Ant
    R/P
    Power
    OK I break it down for you:

The general population who are fucking around in shallow 0.0 that a solo warrior would be interested in fighting have a couple common traits:

1. Bad player
    2. Scared to fight anything
    3. They think you're trying to trap them

In order to use this knowledge to your advantage, one needs to choose a ship and fitting accordingly. Simply put, you need to stack the odds so highly in THEIR favor that they feel comfortable enough either taking the risk of getting trapped like they thought, or you are such an easy kill that the decision is made for them.

39. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Si'ren View Post
    OK I break it down for you:

The general population who are fucking around in shallow 0.0 that a solo warrior would be interested in fighting have a couple common traits:

1. Bad player
    2. Scared to fight anything
    3. They think you're trying to trap them

In order to use this knowledge to your advantage, one needs to choose a ship and fitting accordingly. Simply put, you need to stack the odds so highly in THEIR favor that they feel comfortable enough either taking the risk of getting trapped like they thought, or you are such an easy kill that the decision is made for them.
    You still haven't posted a ship/fit m8

R/P
    Power
    Lol Kugu talking about solo PVP holy shit some of your "THIS IS HOW IT IS" statements are hilarious
    almost as hilarious as posting the same advice that's on page 1 in a six month thread!
    Mfume Apocal - Origin. - Black Legion.

41. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I just fight people who are dumb enough to not know the advantages and disadvantages of particular ships, way easier than coming up with snowflake fits.

On the subject of snowflake ships, never fly a 100mn gila...

42. Electric Ant
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfume View Post
    almost as hilarious as posting the same advice that's on page 1 in a six month thread!
    yeah interesting drake fit.. where'd you figure that one out

43. Banned
    R/P
    Power
    Hurf blurf instead of posting my ideas for a solo PVP ship and risking criticism I'm going to make incredible generalizations that are neither right nor wrong hurf blurf

R/P
    Power
    Huh, didn't realize this thread was still going...

Good for you guys!

45. Electric Ant
    R/P
    Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilmar Keller View Post
    Hurf blurf instead of posting my ideas for a solo PVP ship and risking criticism I'm going to make incredible generalizations that are neither right nor wrong hurf blurf
    My level of understanding on Solo PVP transcends a singular ship or fit, and if you think all winning takes is the right ship or fit you are unfortunately destined for a life of mediocrity in this game.

R/P
    Power
    hey man i know who you are but bein a bad poster is just bein a bad poster

stop postin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R/P
    Power
    My level of understanding on Solo PVP transcends a singular ship or fit, and if you think all winning takes is the right ship or fit you are unfortunately destined for a life of mediocrity in this game.
    I was going to blast you for being a douche bag, but after thinking about it for a bit, you might be a douche bag, but in essence you are exactly right.

You can give an average or below average player and somebody considered great at the game the exact same fit and fight conditions and one can walk away while the other one doesn't. Its a matter of knowing what to do when and how thing that some people get and some people don't. Its beyond the 'math' part of the game and into the actual playing part.

48. Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night Viribus's Avatar
    R/P
    Power
    I don't really get the emphasis on fits, I'm not even that experienced and even I can whip up a fit that isn't terrible, it's not some sort of mystical skill that only the eliteist of pvpers have. This thread really aught to be discussing tactics.

49. God is dead. They found his carcass in 2019.. Checkbox Poll's Avatar
    R/P
    Blog Entries
    Power
    I don't really get the emphasis on fits, I'm not even that experienced and even I can whip up a fit that isn't terrible, it's not some sort of mystical skill that only the eliteist of pvpers have. This thread really aught to be discussing tactics.
    agree. 99% of small-gang and solo pvp in eve is just considering your engagement

50. Adjustment Team
    R/P
    Power
    Celestis or Bellicose can be fun for ganking frigs or dessies. Just sit in a lowsec belt and wait for dudes to come to you. I've done it in arbitrator as well, but you have to fit an AB instead of MWD for decent tank.